States Are Trying to Force Internet Sales Tax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
fuck this shit, before you know it you will only take home 20 cents out of a dollar, wait it's already happening. US economy = fuilure
US = modern day communism

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
The only way I'd support a tax like this is if I was assured the money was going to a service that the majority of the state could use, especially if it is something I could use, or have a high probability of using in the future. Most of these taxes are going to frivolous social programs, and supporting the unproductive (who are impersonating those that are truly in temporary hard times) members of society. I've been taxed enough. If we could thin out our population we'd have fewer social, medical, AND economic problems that are used as excuses for "Internet Tax" necessity.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I love these tax laws that are being enacted by people who get pay raises every year unless they vote against it which they never do. They don't care who they screw as long as they are pocketing our money.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
If I was amazon, I would laugh at them and cut all ties to businesses in their state and not pay them a cent. You only have to follow federal law and the laws of the states you or your people are in... and being as they aren't in Colorado they have no reason to follow Colorado law, a state can't extend their laws into other States. What is Colorado going to do, monitor UPS and FedEx to keep amazon from shipping stuff into Colorado?

G

I'm going to buy something from Amazon now. Amazon rocks. Fuck Colorado, and fuck any other state that tries the same thing.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
@montezuma

I liked what you were saying until you got to "businesses like newegg and amazon can afford this so they should pay it". (I'm a student in Georgia too) Clearly your education was affected because you never took 2 seconds of econ 101. If anything at all makes a company pay money, income taxes, buying new facilities, buying product/components of a product; the company will label this as a cost then raise the price a bit and pass the "savings" on to the consumer. That's how it works, that's how it always worked. You can't simply expect random companies to randomly eat the added cost of anything and continue the same prices and whatnot too. They won't, they can't.

Besides which, most of that is moot. Sales tax has never been invisible to people. (besides the double taxing on the same transaction, the customer gets to pay taxes on an item, and, hey that seller just made some money selling that thingy. Pay your income tax seller!) It just gets added on during checkout, you see it in the list and pay it. That's how it would be implemented. (and is if said etailer is operating in your state)

As such it isn't a company having to pay it at all that's the problem. It's the fact that customers were using the sites to buy things, including from small sites, to not have to pay that extra amount. It's people not wanting to pay this, or it brining local stores to the same level in some cases, that will cause the volume of business to go down.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I wonder how this will work with international sales, For example if someone purchased an item here in the UK, would Colorado be demanding sales tax from the UK company?

I know the reply they would get, two words begins and ends in F :)

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Frapping parasites... One can hardly turn around without one of them sticking a figurative gun in your face, saying "pay up, or else!" The graves of the Founding Fathers contain only chips and dust, they've been spinning so fast for so long...

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
It really chaps me that the governor says that Amazon had no reason to abandon Colorado. When he basically tried to take the exact margin that Amazon makes in Colorado and put it in the state's pocket.

Maybe he feels its wrong for Amazon to make money?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The whole point on buying anithing on the internet is to save some money, if it will cost me the same in the end then I will just buy localy then.

If a lot of consumers start feeling the same way, then it will be the DEATH of Online Stores.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Go fractional reserve banking go!

Maybe the American forefathers had it right? (you know, they did spend years researching what destroyed other empires)

No personal tax.
No fractional reserve banking.

I cringe every time I hear someone call the current USD the greenback, because it has been completed perverted from its original intent.

Go google money as debt, money masters and zeit geist: addendum.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Someone far above on page 1 wrote:

Can you imagine being a small business owner /etailer 5 or 10 years from now? Having to file 50 different sales tax returns monthly or quarterly or even yearly is kind of gruesome for an entrepreneur.

This point is the very reason that the US constitutional framers included the part about (paraphrased) "The states shall pass no law in restraint of free trade"

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I'm not against normal sales tax. The state provides many services that should be factored in when I go down the street to best buy and purchase something. Zoning, public utilities, streets, police, consumer protection. However when i order something off amazon and it is shipped to me by UPS then the state provides me no services that it should be able to "charge" me for.

Status
Not open for further replies.