Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckHunter3000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Some weeks ago I bought a new computer in pieces. I noticed that the computer had 7.1 surround sound, and I though that was cool. But after I plugged in my audio interface, it wasnt so cool anymore. My speakers are connected through a subwoofer to the audio interface, and the speakers were making a static noise that had never been there before. The noise were going louder when I was playing games that are heavy for my computer. I tried to plug the audio interface through different USB ports, but that didnt seem to help. I also reinstalled the lastest drivers for both the audio interface and the motherboard, but that didnt work either. Its now 4 weeks since this happened, and nobody could answar me. So Im posting this here to hopefully get and answar, because i got speakers for nearly 1000 dollars, and its pretty boring that i can't use them. You will be my hero if you can help me! :)

One more thing, the audio interface and speakers works just fine with other computers, both laptop and desktop, Mac and PC.

Specefications:
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 970 4GB
Type of computer: Desktop
Audio driver: Realtek HD Audio

Front Speakers: KRK Rokit 6 G3
Subwoofer: KRK 10s
Cables: XLR

Solution
You might not get the same ground loop problem because when you use a different PC or laptop it and the speakers won't necessarily be plugged into the same AC outlets as in your original set up. You can try using a 3 to 2 ground lifter on the AC cords of the audio gear. More detailed info here
http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf
Your soundcard being surround sound should not make any difference but it could be defective.

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I have some JBL monitors that I plugged directly to the 3.5mm on my soundcard.
To fix my problem I used a ground loop isolator.

Now because you're running straight out XLR, you could try something like this
Hum eliminator

I can't guarantee this will work, but it's worth a try as the humming sound was sending me crazy.

DuckHunter3000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Hi, thanks for the answar, but I dont really think this would help. All other computers I´ve used worked fine, both desktops and laptops. I think the problem lays around my surround sound card in my computer, because its the first surround card that I´ve owned. I just don´t know how to fix the problem...

You might not get the same ground loop problem because when you use a different PC or laptop it and the speakers won't necessarily be plugged into the same AC outlets as in your original set up. You can try using a 3 to 2 ground lifter on the AC cords of the audio gear. More detailed info here
http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf
Your soundcard being surround sound should not make any difference but it could be defective.

Solution

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
As Americanaudiophile says, just because they work on one computer with no problems doesn't rule out that it could be a groundloop or other interference. Unless they were 2 identical computers, there will be quite a few components that could be adding to the problem.
He has linked to a good overview paper as well.
I'm not a believer in cable raising though ;). I do believe in trying to get power cables to run at right angles to each other, where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.