stealing my internet

Bronwen

Commendable
May 22, 2016
I logged on to my computer this evening and a warning came up that my internet maybe being used by someone other than myself. I googled on how to find out if this was happening and the info I got was to go into my network settings and see if there was an unaccounted computer on the network. I found that there was my computer plus an ADSL Router. I disconnected straight away and waited for a while before reconnecting. I checked my network again and found only my computer was on the network.
How can this happen? As I know very little about the internet and computers I wondered how I could stop this happening again.
Thank you in advance

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
The ADSL router was most likely your own router. Nobody else was in your network. Where exactly did you get that warning from?

If you have a wireless network you just need to protect it with a password. If it's not a wireless network there is no way for anyone to leech off your connection.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

its could be a bit of malware - a big warning, tell the PC owner something serious is wrong, get them to visit a site and download an app to stop it happening. Any of these things occur?

Bronwen

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Bronwen

Commendable
May 22, 2016
thanks for that Shows you how much I know about computers and the internet. I got a notification regarding someone may be using my internet when I went on line. The connection was running very slow and a notice just appeared on the screen saying my internet is being used by someone other than myself,