Stealing, Pirating Assassin's Creed Costs Man $25K

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Buying a copy, spending hours or days tweaking it for distribution is nice, but stealing the copy and simply uploading it isn't so great. That said, $25,000 for a $60 game seems excessive to say the least.I for one am not against piracy as I believe that if the game is worth the money then the pirate will still buy it. I have been known to try out games without demos like this. That said, I also believe that if you truly enjoy a game, then buy it and support the developers*.*Unless it is Activision, then pirate away.[/citation]

Stealing is a crime, if he stole a $60 mp3 player, he'd be in the same trouble. I don't see why you think the fine is too large.

In fact, if you steal a pysical item, you cause less damage than if you nab something that you can copy thousands of times and then distribute it.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]That is a sell-out statement if I have ever heard one. Stealing and Pirating ISN'T a good deed.[/citation]
Tell that to Robin Hood :p

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]No, we surely can't let those CEOs make a few million dollars less than the millions they make already, that's just so un-American![/citation]Jealous?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ShqTth[/nom]Kill the Pirates, then DRM will die?[/citation]
I think I just heard a hammer hit the nail on the head, squarely.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Tell that to Robin Hood[/citation]So what your saying is the company that makes Assassin's Creed steals from the poor? How?

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Say what you want, but I really see nothing wrong with this case. They're not charging an obscene amount from some soccer mom. They're charging it from the guy who stole it out of their factory and initially uploaded it. I'd say they're finally suing the right people.

devilintexas

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Good artists copy, great artists steal. Steve Jobs[/citation]

must be an apple fan, for thats a picaso quote you idiot, in true apple fashion stealing once again...lol

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Defeating piracy is impossible.
Make the games better, cheaper, and playable on more hardware!
More legit buyers will buy them, and be happy.
Embrace your open, dev-kit-less, already embedded, customer base by making your game WORK on people's hardware.
A much more lucrative business proposition than throwing money at anti-piracy measures.
Some people are just thieves.
Just thieves, and they will always be thieves.
It's so easy to pirate you can't rehabilitate them with lawsuits, it doesn't work.
Most people want to legitimately buy good software that WORKS.
If you actually get around to making any of that, let me know, and I'll buy it.
Otherwise, I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin and I won't be so irate if I spend only $20 or less for Badly Ported Console Games presents: Repetitive Task Creed.
Give me more games worth buying, and you will gladly have my money.
If you're going to give me half-baked garbage, at least let me pay half-price for it.
An example, Clive Barker's Jericho is garbage at $50, pretty fun at $15, a worthwhile purchase at that price.
Devs and publishers know a game is crap when they release it, they know it, they can't NOT know it. I've worked in the industry, believe me, THEY KNOW IT. Instead of taking a hit and making the game cheaper as a result, and making some legitimate money back, they cry when people would rather not pay for it.
Cryostasis is a great game that debuted at $30.
I'm willing to be it has a less piracy rate due in no small part.
Even though it's slightly buggy with a lot of system overhead.
But still... it was $30, f-ing, dollars.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
$25,000 fine, Jail, etc etc,

Yet in other news, big bankers, rob the American people for their homes, and freedom, and the penalty? receive more money in the trillions, labeled as bailouts.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]Read other comments.. the cost of the game has nothing to do with the size of the fine.[/citation]
Piracy and theft are two different things.
This wasn't about him stealing the game it was about him pirating it, which is a Federal prosecution.
You know, like the FBI warning you read on the beginning of your DVDs?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Piracy creates jobs otherwise companies like securom,safedisk,starforce and a 100 other companies would not exist including mpaa,riaa and more.
If they stamp out piracy all these people would loose their jobs.

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, I've never seen so many sides to an issue like this.

Here's the fact, he stole a $60 game. This game in particular wasn't so loaded down with DRM, but many from the same company are. These games are pirated because of DRM. These companies load their games with DRM, spy on your computer and violate your privacy, and then SELL that information to other companies so THEY can get money out of you.

If I'm wrong, let me know. But if all of the pirateers are killed or gotten rid of, that's not gonna stop DRM because these companies have seen the power that they hold over the general public, and they don't want to give it up. They exploit the average consumer and suck every last dollar that they can out of them. The reason people steal and pirate is because the corporations have become too strong, and a few of these GOOD men understand that and are trying to put a stop to it. Stop DRM, then and ONLY then is when piracy of games, DVD's, and music will stop.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It's interesting that they never catch the leader of release group 1UP. His personal information is spammed all over the internet.

G

[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]I for one am not against piracy as I believe that if the game is worth the money then the pirate will still buy it.[/citation]

Who are you kidding? If this was really the case, there wouldn't be any such problems. The harsh reality of the matter is that most pirates are in fact *not* buying the games, which drives up the cost/DRM restrictions for everybody who does.

Status
Not open for further replies.