Steam product activation key

doudou99

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
Hi guys I want to ask you something. Well I have mortal kombat x not activated on steam so if I buy the steam key for MKX will I must redownload the game or it will just be activated and able to be updated on steam?

Solution
I'm not sure about MKX but usually most games can be activated on steam by entering the CD/DVD key on steam. This will then tie the game to your steam account. There are still a few games that have both a steam and non-steam version. In that case you have to buy the steam version to get a steam key. Before you buy it again see if the key will activate on steam.

Once you activate the game copy your original install into the steam/common/steamapps folder. If you're lucky you might not have to re-download the entire game, only the updated steam pieces.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
What you can do is move the installation to where steam installs it to. Use https://steamdb.info/ to find the folder name. If done correctly, when you install on steam it will discover existing files and only update what is different.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm not sure about MKX but usually most games can be activated on steam by entering the CD/DVD key on steam. This will then tie the game to your steam account. There are still a few games that have both a steam and non-steam version. In that case you have to buy the steam version to get a steam key. Before you buy it again see if the key will activate on steam.

Once you activate the game copy your original install into the steam/common/steamapps folder. If you're lucky you might not have to re-download the entire game, only the updated steam pieces.

Solution