Stereo Speaker Amp w/ Subwoofer?

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Hey guys!
I have two kinda crappy Logitech speakers hooked up on my computer currently. I just got two used Sony SS-SR15 speakers from my girlfriend's parents who are upgrading their home theater and I want to see if I can use them as computer speakers. They have those connections that are red and black and you put bare wire into, so after some research I'm pretty sure I'd have to get some kind of amp to drive them. Is that correct? Also, would something like one of these do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lepai-LP-168HA-2-1-Amplifier-2x40w-1x68w-/291695947192?hash=item43ea6eedb8:g:JOcAAOSwWTRW0ypN&autorefresh=true

http://www.gearbest.com/speakers/pp_58005.html?currency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDE4rvI5Dlc_UorC82bi3-q8LBohPWQd68XeHXzMKklxoC6eLw_wcB

I like the first one because I have some Accent Acoustics subwoofer that I took from someone who was about to throw it away and I could probably use it with the first amp I linked. The thing is, though, that the sub that I have runs through a 3.5mm jack (It won't work through my motherboard jack for it ,though...). Would I be able to strip the wire and hook it up to that first amp?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes, speakers with red/black bare wire terminals need an amplifier. Either of those will probably work. I definitely wouldn't believe the 200W claim on the second unit.

Your subwoofer might work with an amp. I don't have enough info to give you a better answer.

kanewolf

Judicious
Yes, speakers with red/black bare wire terminals need an amplifier. Either of those will probably work. I definitely wouldn't believe the 200W claim on the second unit.

Your subwoofer might work with an amp. I don't have enough info to give you a better answer.

Solution

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Cool, thanks. Any dirt cheap amps you would recommend? :p
Also, would old speakers like this be better than a pair of $10 Logitech speakers I picked up from Wal-Mart?

kanewolf

Judicious

No, I wouldn't recommend any "dirt cheap" amps. You could try a pawn shop or quality used equipment on E-Bay. You can get higher quality without spending too much.