stereo speakers hooked up to my PC are too quiet

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have these speakers that came with my old broken stereo that work just fine, so I hooked them up to my computer. problem is, they're not very loud. I think this is because they are supposed to run on more power than my computer puts out. Is there a way to get them louder w/o buying an amp or receiver?

Thanks for whatever you can provide

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
If your running these through the computer rather than a receiver, you're right, the sound card doesn't have the power needed to drive them. You can get a decent stereo receiver for around $100 or less and an decent entry surround, e.g. Onkyo, for about $175. If you don't want to get a receiver, I'd go with a decent set of computer speakers. I have an older set of Creative I Triegues that sound pretty good, although I'm now running the sound card through a reciever

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Audio 2
Sonic Illusions Audio 3
V Audio 1
J Audio 1
J Audio 6
W Audio 5
E Audio 2
B Audio 1
M Audio 3
2 Audio 1
W Audio 1
K Audio 4
Clunker Audio 4
B Audio 2
M Audio 1
J Audio 2
H Audio 1
N Audio 1
J Audio 12
I Audio 2
Similar threads
Question My stereo died - fix or how to repurpose the speakers?
Question Stereo Bluetooth Audio from Speakers with the Galaxy S8+
I have a new Sony surround sound stereo did not come with speakers I have my old Sony speakers that are round my newer one ha
Multiple stereo speaker setup
Solved! I want to pair the CD-playing little shelf stereo in my mom's dining room, to Bluetooth speakers in her living room. I have a
Solved! REALTEK - how to stop mono audio from being upscaled to stereo ?
my car stereo. Playing a cd or Bluetooth etc my speakers work fine but playing the radio only the right speakers work. What c
Solved! Samsung 7 series TV to regular stereo speakers, turns out this is the hardest thing ever.
Solved! why does my stereo make a humming sound when i connect to my tv
Solved! Sony STR-D715, building a garage stereo...
Solved! Redirect Bass to LFE channel in a stereo audio file
Solved! Could this amp damage my speakers?
Hooking up old stereo speakers to my PC. Will this work? Bad idea?
hooking up stereo speakers to a toa bg 1120
how do I hook up my tv so sound come out of stereo speakers
How to hook up a Samsung soundbar to a Pioneer receiver that runs already two speakers for stereo from the LG TV
I have an older Stereo Receiver looking to hook up wireless speakers
I have an altech Lansing subwoofer and two speaker set that I hook to my laptop... I also have an old stereo with amazing spea
hooking up wireless speakers to stereo receiver without bluetooth
Can I hook my stereo system up to my TV that uses a coaxial connection

ASK THE COMMUNITY