Stereo v.s Surround sound headset.

mingy345

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
So I'm looking at the Hyper x Cloud which is a stereo headset. And I am also looking at the Logitech G430, which has surround sound capabilities. Would I be able to determine where sounds are coming from within a game like CS:GO or would I not realize the difference. Thanks!

Solution
generally most games already have built-in mechanics which make direction finding easy even on 2.0 headsets. sounds from the rear generally have a different tone and are muffled with lower volume than sounds from the front.

also, its possible to use virtual surround and convert the HXC into 5.1 headphones. razer has a free software for this, razer virtual surround (although its not the best quality compared with your other options). if your onboard soundcard has the option you could use that. last, soundcards often have it built in, the cheap xonar dg is a great option to upgrade from onboard and has it built right into it (dolby headphone).

some people love virtual surround, others do not. its purely a preference thing. keep in mind...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hmmm..... I use the Logitech G930 and the surround feature does actually work quite well. I'm able to to hear footsteps from the rear. Also, most surround headsets have the option to switch to plain stereo... so I think it would be worth it to get the one with the most options/features.

generally most games already have built-in mechanics which make direction finding easy even on 2.0 headsets. sounds from the rear generally have a different tone and are muffled with lower volume than sounds from the front.

also, its possible to use virtual surround and convert the HXC into 5.1 headphones. razer has a free software for this, razer virtual surround (although its not the best quality compared with your other options). if your onboard soundcard has the option you could use that. last, soundcards often have it built in, the cheap xonar dg is a great option to upgrade from onboard and has it built right into it (dolby headphone).

some people love virtual surround, others do not. its purely a preference thing. keep in mind that virtual distorts audio (this is how it makes it appear 3d) which is why some do not like it however those that do like it think it makes sound more 3d. pick your poison.

i would say that the hxc is likely a better headset overall than the logitech since it is based on actual headphones (takstar pro 80's) but again opinions vary and your preferences for how one sounds over the other might go against what other people think.

Solution

mingy345

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

Thanks for your information! :)