Steve Jobs Wanted His Own Cell Carrier for the iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Last time I checked, iMessage was free. Calling it stealing revenue isn't really true then. More like saving consumers money from the greedy cell carriers.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"However, what we hadn't known up until now is that Apple CEO Steve Jobs originally wanted to launch his own network with unused Wi-Fi spectrum and bypass the carriers completely."

Last I knew he was dead...did he buy his way out of hell?

G

I'm growing tired of word "vision" used in every article about Steve Jobs.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
i really wouldnt want to know the fee a services like this would charge to customers...

if the iphone cost around 500+ without contract. i imagine That this service would be around 200 usd for 400 monthly minute and and 2gb of data. plus you would be blocked from streaming video which you would have to pay a different fee. and maybe the would charge from those sms

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
i really wouldnt want to know the fee a services like this would charge to customers...if the iphone cost around 500+ without contract. i imagine That this service would be around 200 usd for 400 monthly minute and and 2gb of data. plus you would be blocked for streaming video which you would have to pay a different fee. and maybe they would charge for those sms too

G

Hmmm...so many haters. I think the wallets have spoken. People like, love and admire Apple products. They cast their vote by buying Apple products over other competitors. It's really quite simple. Give people a great experience and a great product and they will come running. Carriers, infrastructure, complete control, etc DO NOT MATTER if consumers are happy with what they buy. I view most of the comments as sour grapes and whining. There is NOTHING that stops Microsoft, Dell, Sony and all the others from making better products and winning in the same Steve Jobs and Apple have done.
I'm not just a fan boy. I'm just a frustrated consumer looking for great products no matter whose label is on it.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]tului[/nom]Last time I checked, iMessage was free. Calling it stealing revenue isn't really true then. More like saving consumers money from the greedy cell carriers.[/citation]
Its stealing revenue because instead of charging people for SMS or text plans, people are able to simple transfer messages over their network under data; with that, there's also support to send over Wi-Fi to eliminate the need for using a carriers 3G network all together.

Carriers may be greedy in terms of pricing of contracts, buts worse is having a single entity control every aspect (hardware, software, network etc). That gives the company the power to charge whatever they wanted for a single service.
That's greed if you ask me.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Edit:
Not to mention that Wi-Fi is an open standard with specifications designed from IEEE.

It would be illegal to take allocated Wi-Fi spectrum and charge money to use it.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Not surprised at all , i hate apple's natzi style control on things so im happy to say i don't own an apple product and won't own one in a foreseeable future.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]FJohnston[/nom]Hmmm...so many haters. I think the wallets have spoken. People like, love and admire Apple products. They cast their vote by buying Apple products over other competitors. It's really quite simple. Give people a great experience and a great product and they will come running. Carriers, infrastructure, complete control, etc DO NOT MATTER if consumers are happy with what they buy. I view most of the comments as sour grapes and whining. There is NOTHING that stops Microsoft, Dell, Sony and all the others from making better products and winning in the same Steve Jobs and Apple have done. I'm not just a fan boy. I'm just a frustrated consumer looking for great products no matter whose label is on it.[/citation]

Most of these whiners are kiddies that can't get a date, can't afford anything Apple, and have done nothing in their lives so look at respected people with envy.

Don't get me wrong, outside of some cool vintage Apple stuff (Apple IIe/IIgs, Lisa, etc...), I would never buy Apple, and never did until long after it was obsolete and thus collectible.

But, the market has spoken. Even reviewers recognize the iPhones are good to excellent, and iPad 2 as excellent, and they don't want to. Virtually every article that reports on quality, reports Apple's Macs on the top of the list. Virtually every poll shows Apple customers as happy.

When you're a miserable toad, you resent happy people. You resent things they have that you can't swing. You resent success, because it makes your own failures so much more painful by contrast. Apple represents success. The company is wildly successful, and the people that can afford their stuff and mostly successful. For the losers, this makes them feel bad about themselves, and they hate it because of it.

Don't let it bother you, these guys will keep posting as long as their utility company doesn't shut off their electricity, but they have no effect. The impotent ravings of the disenfranchised aren't convincing to anyone, except others of the same, who need no convincing.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Are you all absolutely nuts? I would give anything for a carrier free technology device.

The current players have been raping communication customers for a century.

$45 a month is what I pay ATT for data and tethering. $45 and that's only 4GB!!!

ATT and Verizon are a duopoly that is doing absolutely nothing but holding back the advancement of communication technology.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
We'll probably hear of a lot more of these unorthodox ideas as he had many of them. He was a professional brainstormer and he had a knack for taking existing ideas and "expanding upon" them.
I'm sure some of the ideas, such as this one, will sound strange.

"Stay foolish" --- Steve Jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.