Steve Jobs: Why iPhone 3G Was Held Back in iOS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Knew my iPhone didn't have multitasking when I got it. No one ever promised it would get it, so I still don't care today.

Don't see how people could get upset about not getting something they were never promised to get.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Apple has always been more about simplicity and user-friendliness rather than customization (i.e. Mac vs PC). When will people understand that? Just be happy about the competition bringing prices down.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
While I agree that allowing the user to decide (maybe with a warning), it's within a company's right to have certain quality standards.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]Oh Steve... always trying to screw your customers...i have 3GS, and i still feel ashamed having supported you...[/citation]

As a 3G user, I think multitasking would have made this phone unusable. You have to remember, the 3G has half of the memory that your 3GS has, and it pretty much runs at half the speed. I find the 3G to be way too slow at times, and there is sometimes noticeable wait for some things to load or respond. I definitely see why multitasking or whatever other features were not added to the 3G. After going to iOS4, it's slightly slower than it was before, it's less responsive, and in my opinion, a bit too slow all the time now. Any thing else added to this thing would have sunk it like the Titanic. It's definitely at its limit of what 128MB of ram can handle.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This is why I never buy any thing that is Apple. When it comes to any thing Micro$soft we're getting the shaft enough as it is but Apple takes it to far.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Note to future employees/CEOs, that is NOT how you address a customer if you want them to continue their business with you. If anyone at my company e-mailed a response like that to a customer, they would be punished. Steve should get some underling to write his responses if his time is too precious to afford a salutation and departing comment. Rude, IMHO.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
A great example of closed vs open development. That's why apple products have always been limited in software and hardware options, and upgrading in general. They are philisophically opposed to not guaranteeing perfect performance. By mandating control over their systems, they ensure performance standards.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why I never buy any thing that is Apple. When it comes to any thing Micro$soft we're getting the shaft enough as it is but Apple takes it to far.[/citation]

Do you own, or have owned a 3G iPhone before? In this case, the iPhone 3G is already taxed far more than it should be and can't support anything more than it has on it. Apple had been very very skimpy with ram in their computers and mobile devices in the years past, and the 3G is a perfect example of this with a depressing 128MB of memory. Luckily, for buyers today, the new iPhone gets 512MB, which should eliminate the unresponsiveness, sluggishness, and frequent app crashes caused by lack of memory.

Yes, Apple does tend to screw customers, but in this case, I can see why.

G

The real answer should have been "We want to force you to upgrade your phone so we can get more money"

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Got to respect Apple for insisting on experience more than simple dollar bill. I still remember all those Vista computers with 512MB or 1GB RAM from DELL and HP when RAM was still expensive.

While giving the customer a choice seems like a good idea, it just wouldn’t be Apple if they lowered their standard. Bentley wouldn’t put plastic trim on their car to save weight and neither should Apple.

BTW, I am a ThinkPad, DIY desktop guy but I support Apple to be different than other companies. It gave people choices.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Knew my iPhone didn't have multitasking when I got it. No one ever promised it would get it, so I still don't care today.Don't see how people could get upset about not getting something they were never promised to get.[/citation]

Dont worry, you didnt get real multitasking anyway.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Got to respect Apple for insisting on experience more than simple dollar bill. I still remember all those Vista computers with 512MB or 1GB RAM from DELL and HP when RAM was still expensive.While giving the customer a choice seems like a good idea, it just wouldn’t be Apple if they lowered their standard. Bentley wouldn’t put plastic trim on their car to save weight and neither should Apple.BTW, I am a ThinkPad, DIY desktop guy but I support Apple to be different than other companies. It gave people choices.[/citation]

Um no they are all about the dollar bill. Which is why no multitasking on the 3g. You have to buy a 4g for that privilege.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I dont really like apple but it is really down to earth how he responds to customers. Its a good thing unlike AT&T(?) threatening a lawsuit! Too bad he's the "man" now. I gotta fight the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.