Steve Jobs: You're Holding iPhone 4 the Wrong Way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Omg... I don't get how the owner of a company can actually act that way, has he forgotten who feeds his greedy mouth?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Catswold[/nom]This is what happens when you become a fanboi.[/citation]

Buying an Apple product does not make you a "fanboi". It makes you a customer. Still, a customer should not be told to hold their phone in an unnatural way.

[citation][nom]rockola[/nom]Jobs: "Doctor, doctor, I have severe back pain."Doc: "Well of course you do. You have pancreatic cancer."Jobs: "What do I do about it?"Doc: "Well Steve, just don't sit that way."[/citation]

I'm sorry but that is really distasteful. Laughing about someone having cancer is about as low as you can go.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well... this wouldn't be an issue for me if I had an iPhone. If I'm going to spend that much money on a phone, then I'll be sure to put it in some sort of protective case.

Anyway, while Mr. Jobs is correct that every phone has these issues, most companies aren't stupid enough to place the antenna in a place that is natural to put your hands.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Sorry for the dual post, but I just checked the Photo on the top, the antenna should NOT BE in a place which can be easily blocked by a hand.... I mean it's stupid from the research group, it's a must to avoid this kind of situations. Of course that if you put the damn antenna next to the place where the phone is usually hold the signal is gonna be jammed...

G

lousy company, lousy practices, lousy hardware but when they go out of business it'll be microsoft's fault.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Are those replies really from Steve Jobs? I thought he was supposed to have some affable charisma that makes people want to buy Apple products. I'm not seeing it.

At any rate, I conducted a test with a WinMo phone and a Nokia 5800xm. I can complete cover either with both my hands so that my skin is touch practically every outer surface of the phones. Neither phone of them loses signal. So, Apple's response that "all phones" lose some attenuation in antenna performance is a FAR cry from their phone completely losing its signal from modestly (and properly) holding their phone.

Fail.

G

it must have been flash fuxin things up again it is never apple's fault its someone else's

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'd like to know if this drops out the other antennae as well.

I'd like to know if you you're holding the phone like that and you're using bluetooth headphones if drop the sound.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I'm sorry but that is really distasteful. Laughing about someone having cancer is about as low as you can go.[/citation]
No one is laughing at Steve for having cancer. I believe the poster was commenting on what it would have been like for Steve if his Doctors took the same approach to solving a situation that he does. Steve's response was basically a big "F-You". I'm pretty sure Steve wouldn't have appreciated hearing something similar after being diagnosed with cancer.

And no, a crappy cell phone isn't as bad a cancer, but just be glad Steve's not your oncologist.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What a joke - a first rate "take the spit" moment for all these Apple lovers! Maybe Apple should release a diagram showing the proper way of holding a phone... It's not really Apple's fault that poeple use their hands to hold up a phone... Seriously though, can you see any other company responding to such an issue with "Just don't hold it that way then." - just imagine if I wrote Honda to say that my shift stick doesn't work and they replied "Just don't hold it that way then." - you must be a real douche to buy anything from Apple ever again. Steve Jobs, what a nasty little rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.