Steve Jobs: You're Holding iPhone 4 the Wrong Way

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
ah, when I hold my glass of coke upside down the coke spills all over the floor and me. Stupid glass design.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Apple fanbois grip the phone in a way that does not interfere with reception. It is this same grip which is used as a secret handshake, or a sign so that they may tell one another apart from the unwashed masses.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Man forget about the reception issues, there's a bigger problem no one is realizing. The antenna is OUTSIDE! There has already been cases of brain cancer induced by cell phones EMF, and most cells have large EMF shields around the antenna which is almost always located in the back and on the bottom of the phone to get it as far away from your head (there is an exponential increase so every inch counts).
Apple didn't invent putting an antenna outside the phone!! Companies deliberately bury it so you don't die in 30years! Apparently, that's not quite as important to Apple as their bottom line.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]danish_2828[/nom]I'd like to know if this drops out the other antennae as well.I'd like to know if you you're holding the phone like that and you're using bluetooth headphones if drop the sound.[/citation]

Take a look at the presentation of WWDC. Half is GSM, half is BT and WIFI. Since there have been reports of impacts on wifi, bt will most definitely be affected as well.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I do believe I called this, and posted on to the article detailing the metal band would be used as an antenna. From an RF perspective, this is the worst possible design given that you WILL be touching it. Nevermind the fact you'll be bridging two antennas together. Now lets look at what side the gap is on: THE LEFT. If they had put it on the right (when looking at it from the front) MOST people who are right handed would end up with their thumb at the top and not bridge the two. The idea is not without merit however, as looking at the idea of: make a better antenna -- Alone, without considering any other factors, this is going to make for better reception if the device is sitting on the table. Infact it'll probably beat most other cell phones with their miserable internal antennas. However, the fact you ARE going to come in contact with the antenna directly more than mitigates its benefit. Using a case may stop the issue, but I'd frankly recommend a thin layer of silicone or clear tape be placed over "The bridge" to stop the issue for those not using a protective case. And now to the last point: Who owns an iPhone they intend to keep for more than a year and DOESNT use a case?

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]30 bucks for a damn rubber band. Give me a break.[/citation]

apple double rip off ~ LOL
that's how they make money

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]gladdens my heart that with all the stupid apple-bash people on this board this will not hurt apple sales one bit.[/citation]

I and at a few others on this site are indeed lost sales, if you think people will not pass on this phone because of this issue you are wrong. My store in AK was getting them today, I wanted one, now I will wait to see if this gets resolved. To me, that hurts sales more than "one bit".

They will still have plenty of sales from people like you, but people who care about their product working as intended may very well pass on this.

Seems the only option atm is to purchase the mentioned $30 rubber band.

I'm sure I could figure it out but; why should I have to? Every other phone I've owned had no problems with reception no matter how I hold it.

ms1191

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Are you all really such morons that you can't figure out how to hold the phone so your hand doesn't bridge across the antennas?You all need a diagram on how to do this!?!?I'm holding the phone right now and its easy.what a buncha immature morons. Sucks to be second best I guess so continue with the whinning for your comfort....gladdens my heart that with all the stupid apple-bash people on this board this will not hurt apple sales one bit.[/citation]

You totally missed the point.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's a flaw, a foolish one that I think Mr. Jobs knows will haunt him. But one bad product out of many successful ones isn't too bad a record. Lets hope the iPhone 4G Verizon version that comes out end of the year will fix this. Glad I waited to get one.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I have a new invention, its called electrical tape.... sorry iTape and I will sell it to you at the bargain price of £30. Available in a range of colours too. ;P

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
such a flaud product, you would think that the company would implement a plastic or come kind of light composite around the antenna. i would prefer a composite material (kevlar or graphite) for the case, not metal

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The whole thing that I've heard that makes this funny is the way it was tested. Most hands on non-company testers said the iPhnoes' looked like regular 3GS phone. They had actually put the new internals in a 3GS case for the first testers to not spoil the look out on the streets. And people never ran into this issue since it was a different case. So it's a case of trying to be sneaky but screwing yourself with the end product.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I said he'd say this yesterday.

I'm glad I can hold my HTC Desire any way I want. Signal drops? Not that I noticed, and that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.