Still can't remove system apps after rooting Android phone?

jtpetch

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi, so i rooted my Android 2.3 smartphone using this method , and it seemed to work. I am able to use root-only apps such as AirDroid, and screen recorders. But, i am still unable to remove system apps (such as twitter, tmobile tv, etc). I have used link2sd, root app remover, system app remover, and many other apps, but none of them work. They all say "Uninstallation failed" whenever I try to. But they still ask for superuser permission, and I grant it. I have even tried a few root testers, and they all said my phone was indeed rooted.
So, is that method I used flawed? Does it only... semi-root? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Solution
Long Answer: I don't think you know what "rooting" means. Android, in simplest terms, is just a Graphical User Interface(what you see) for Linux. Rooting a phone modifies the Linux part of your phone, not the Android. You get the ability to remove any file in your phone, no exceptions, but, GUI wouldn't let you do that. Therefore, you have to get a root file browser application, locate the files you don't need and remove them.
Short answer: Download FileManager, go to /system/app, remove unwanted apps.
Use at your own risk.

ftball

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Long Answer: I don't think you know what "rooting" means. Android, in simplest terms, is just a Graphical User Interface(what you see) for Linux. Rooting a phone modifies the Linux part of your phone, not the Android. You get the ability to remove any file in your phone, no exceptions, but, GUI wouldn't let you do that. Therefore, you have to get a root file browser application, locate the files you don't need and remove them.
Short answer: Download FileManager, go to /system/app, remove unwanted apps.
Use at your own risk.

Solution

miker1029

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Agreed try rom toolbox, there is a bunch on the play store. But before you go crazy removing all the bloat backup your phone in whatever recovery you are using then freeze the app for a couple weeks to make sure it's not needed then backup again and uninstall....

miker1029

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Agreed tru rom toolbox, there is a bunch on the play store. But before you go crazy removing all the bloat backup your phone in whatever recovery you ate using then freeze the app for a couple weeks to make sure it's not needed the backup again and uninstall....

jtpetch

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Ok, using rom toolbox, I went in and uninstalled Twitter. It said "Finished uninstalling Twitter", but Twitter was still in my app list, and i could still use it.
I also tried converting it to a user app, but i still couldn't.

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Its easy to wipe it out. First install root explorer from store. Now navigate to root of your directory, you will see a folder "System" go in it and then to "App" folder. Here you can see all your system apps, delete any crap you want. If you don't have these directory then download "Titanium Backup" and uninstall apps, it is super awesome app. But try the first method first.