Strange Sound from my Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZetaOne

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Strange thing is happening in my Acer laptop, its making the typical HDD (mechanical drive) noise even though there is no HDD installed as I replaced it with an SSD.

Let’s take if from the top, I recently purchased an Acer F5-573G model that had a 1TB HDD installed. I took it out immediately and replaced it with an SSD. However, I now hear the typical sound a mechanical HDD makes when its reading/writing emanating from the inside of my laptop. You can imagine how baffled I am.

After further investigation, the sound “seems” to emanate either from the GPU (nVidia GTX 950m) or the CPU (i7 7500M) at least with my ear I hear the sound coming from the ventilation grill on the middle right of the laptop.

How is this at all possible? Can anyone shed some light for me?

Solution
Can you take the SSD out and put the HDD back in and see if you still hear the noise in addition to the normal noise a HDD makes. Maybe you will be able to distinguish between the two sounds. If you only hear the HDD sounds, perhaps the SSD is responsible for the current noise, although it shouldn't make any noise normally, maybe there is some electrical noise it is making.

I would still bet on something hitting one of the fans, but that would be pretty constant.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Can you take the SSD out and put the HDD back in and see if you still hear the noise in addition to the normal noise a HDD makes. Maybe you will be able to distinguish between the two sounds. If you only hear the HDD sounds, perhaps the SSD is responsible for the current noise, although it shouldn't make any noise normally, maybe there is some electrical noise it is making.

I would still bet on something hitting one of the fans, but that would be pretty constant.

Solution

BillyHalley

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I have the exact same laptop ( F5-573G-71UK ), bought last september on sale on Amazon. I have the same sound, and i too investigated and realized the noise comes from the CPU or GPU. It is clearly not the HHD, nor the fans, i am 100% sure it comes from either one of the processors.
Did you solve your issue?

( Does OP even receive a notification on this site? I never really posted here. )

EDIT

Acually I just discovered something, i had my power plan set to High Performance, as soon as I set it to balanced the noise stopped, and I can actually reproduce it.

So the noise comes definitely from the CPU, when it pushes for high clock frequencies. I still don't know if there's a fix, but putting the PC in balanced or power sever at least will cause the noise to cease when your not stressing the CPU.