Solved! Streaming 3D from PC questions

junga

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
:) Hi, glad to be here,
I just received the tc-p54vt25 and the onkyo Hts6300,a couple of questions please:
I am planing to stream 3d bluray content from my PC to the receiver and
according to a quote from an article

"AMD’s Radeon HD 5800–series GPUs do include a protected audio path and can therefore pipe the movie’s soundtrack over HDMI without compromise. But we rejected that solution because we wanted to take advantage of Nvidia’s 3D Vision technology (and none of Nvidia’s current GPUs provide a protected audio path).
Enter Auzentech’s X-Fi Home Theater HD ($250 street): This card takes Blu-ray audio at full resolution, decrypts it, combines it with HD video from the videocard (via an HDMI input), re-encrypts the whole thing, and sends it on to your A/V receiver via HDMI. Yeah, it’s a bit of a PITA, but it works. For the record, Asus’s Xonar HDAV cards accomplish the same goal, but they use a PCI slot that was blocked on the motherboard we selected."

Now i do have the Asus Xonar DX and the evga gts 250 and it seems that Both are not capable of sending DTS HD over the hdmi 1.4 if I am not mistaken.

1) Would the nvidia GTS 450 do the job:
could it stream to a tv this size 54 inch without stuttering or the receiver will take care of that part?
If I chose the AMD way with a 5xxx or 6xxx card that does bitstreaming would i be able to do a simple graphic card--->receiver---->Hdtv and have lossless streaming as opposed to the need of having the nvidia patch and IR transmitter from nvida?

2) I am using an old pc i built with a dual core pentium 805@3.5ghz and only 1 ghz of memory dual channel ddr2 is this a limiting factor?

3) If I network a bluray 3D player to my pc or to an external HDD would it be able to do the same job?

4) Any other suggestions/solutions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Solution

junga

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Thanks swowgoer,
Instead of investing in new cpu new memory new motherboard and nvidia vision kit would a Boxeeb be a viable solution? for the purpose of streaming buray 3D or is there a similar/better solution out there, to get my 3d bluray rips from the pc/external HDD to the receiver with an intact quality.
Thanks again for answering.
Junga

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

thats for nvidio 3d.

i think it be much easier jsut to get a 3D tv, or display, a graphics card which supports hdmi1.4 and a media player which supports 3d output.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
\Rant

I don't usually reply to posts like this, but I feel this needs to be addressed:

First, did you even read the original post? If so, did you comprehend what was being asked?

The OP, in question 2, listed out a few components on a computer that was lying around... I brought up nVidia's website because it has the REQUIREMENTS for 3D...nVidia is the only game in town if you want 3D on a PC. AMD does not support 3D at this time...therefore if the OP wants a PC capable of 3D output they need to build around nVidia's hardware and the software requirements of 3D

Your comment about what components to use is not helpful what-so-ever.

/Rant

As far as Question 1 goes, per nVidia's website the GTX 460 can bitstream DTS HD over HDMI with the correct drivers. The 54" monitor size shouldn't be an issue, it's the resolution that would cause problems...and most likely that 54" TV is 1080p

Question 3: not sure what the OP is asking here...if you already have a 3D blu-ray player and a 3D capable TV, then connecting the two with HDMI 1.4 should be adequate...that is unless you're trying to output the audio to a sound system...then you're over my head. HOWEVER, if your receiver is capable of DTS HD and HDMI 1.4 (3D signal) then you should be in business.

Question 4: If you do go with the components in question 3, why is a 3D pc required??

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
i have no idea waht ur talking about in question 1... oh and ati does support 3D, ur just behind, so the components i listed is really all u need...

im talking about nvidia 3D vision---which is not always needed, u can get a normal graphics card with a good processor, to output 3D using softwares.

u do not need a reciever if hes not intending to use amplification on his speakers.... connecting teh 3D sourse (blu-ray player) with teh 3D TV with HDMI 1.4 is all u need. but this guy wants to stream from the PC, so PC<-----HDMI 1.4----->TV <---- this would have been easily understood by others....

u also sed if u want to do 3D on the PC, this is the minimum requirement.... (u listed a webpage to nVIDIA 3D) this is not true at all.. as i have explained above, this guy is also not intending to game. (and as far as we know his graphics card may not supports 1.4a-if its the old one.you should always stick to teh HDMI 1,4 ouput not the dodgy old nvidia way)

@q 4 wat i sed was all it requires for ur PC to have is a software which supports 3D output (using software emulation or HDMI) or a graphics card which outputs HDMI 1.4 signals (ati 6xxx cards do this) <- this is the easier option.

if u want proper output using nvidia, then u must get the new revised version of the graphics card, which supports HDMI 1.4 so that u can use NVIDIA 3DTV for the standard playback. but the proper way is still using a clean source (blu ray player) direct to tv or bridged to an amplifier.

junga

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
@MEgamer
Thank you for replying,
I was wondering indeed if ati had the proper card that supports HD bitstreaming and 3D output to a 3D capable display. I used a PC<-----HDMI 1.4----->TV type of connection using power dvd ultra 3D edition to my panasonic 3D capable TV with no luck after some research it turned out that I needed 3D nividia kit with one of the graphic cards specified on the website as a requirement which I dont have mine is the GTS 250 and a cpu that doesn`t meet the minimal requirementsis an old 805 double core so before taking the plunge and upgrading my pc hardware are these viable options to play my 3d bluray rips :
1- connect the graphic card to a 3D bluray player I can purchase and connect to the 3D HDTV is all I need ? That would be great would that work if i connect the docking station where my hdd are via usb to the bd player would it be able to pick and read the 3d content without even using the pc?

@snowgoer
Thank you again for replying,
"HOWEVER, if your receiver is capable of DTS HD and HDMI 1.4 (3D signal) then you should be in business."
I do own the onkyo Hts6300 which is all the above that i didn`t connect yet hence my question:
pc---->3d bluplayer---->3D av receiver---->hdtv with hdmi 1.4 would be simply the solution to play the 3d lossless? without worrying about the pc hardware as long as the streaming reaches the BDplayer ?
crazy question could the following be also a solution:
pc (powerdvd)---->3D av receiver---->Hdtv ? without the need for the bdplayer?
would a roku or a boxee box attached to an external storage do the trick also if we have the following
hdd external--->settop(roku, boxeebox, WD hd live...)--->amplifier--->hdtv?

Thank you for you patience and your willing to help.

Junga

Many thanks again

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

u can still use PC to play bluray, u just need a blu ray drive.

HDMI 1.4 is not made to paly 3D loseless, its jsut there to transport-by pass the signal.
im sure there are othe rsoftwares out there that can utilize the ATIs 3D output, since they use the standard HDMI.
if u have a 3D bluray player, you woldnt really need a PC.

pc (powerdvd)---->3D av receiver---->Hdtv ? without the need for the bdplayer?<------- that is not possible, since 3D recievers only by pass signals, plus without 3D display, it cannot be shown.

Solution