Streaming 4K Router

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014
At the moment I have a TP-Link Archer C9 which I stream Netflix&Amazon Prime to my Vizio M43-C1 or our Hisense 40H4C1.I don't have smart phone but we do have 2 amazon fire tablets 2 Desktop Computers.Should I upgrade my router to one that sends a higher Mps? Own my cable modem Arris Surfboard 6141.Internet is Spectrum 30Mps dwn &5 up(actually getting 37dwn&6up)
The reason for asking is that I sometimes get"Lagging" on 4k&1080P IE:last night lagged on 5.0 so I changed to 2.4 ok then(720P) 5.0&2.4 were both 4 out of 5 bars

Solution
Finally got the answer to the Lagging.It's the CONTENT! LOL. The lasst time it lagged or froze the device I was on gives me a numeric readout of the signal,and it was above 30Mbps(actually said 30.5)I then used the built in browser to run speedtest.net and it gave me 26 ping 37.6 dwn 6.26 up which is more than I am paying for so it's not me.Thanks to all for your input

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The tp link should do however your internet connection is actually just on the verge of being enough for a good and stable stream from netlifx. Since wifi is never 100% stable and you only had 4/5 bars it's most likely you were being held back by the wifi since you were getting outside of it's range.

Netflix recommends 5 Mbps for 1080p streaming, 25 Mbps for 4k streaming. So I'd expect you to have the occasional hiccup with 4k streams, but no problem with 1080p streams.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

The Arris Surfboard 6141 should be good up to about 200-300 Mbps.

Unless your streaming device is really far from the router, the TP-Link C9 Archer should be more than capable of handling 1080p and 4k streams.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32604-tp-link-archer-c9-reviewed?showall=&start=2

Typical speeds I've seen from 802.11ac over 5 GHz is about 250-400 Mbps. Typical speeds I've seen from 802.11n over 2.4 GHz is about 100-150 Mbps. So your router (or any modern router) is highly unlikely to be the cause of your streaming woes.

5 GHz is usually better because it has about a dozen independent channels compared to 2.4 GHz three. So you're much less likely to encounter interference on 5 GHz. If you do have problems with a 5 GHz channel but 2.4 GHz works fine, the problem is most often distance from the router. 5 GHz signals do not penetrate walls and obstructions as well as 2.4 GHz.

Is anyone else using the Internet or do you have any downloads going on (e.g. file sharing) while you're streaming? That can be the source of intermittent lagging. In that case, you can turn on QoS on your router and give video streaming (sometimes classified as multimedia) a higher priority than other traffic.

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

If you're still having problems, try running the speed test at fast.com. That's Netflix's own speed test hosted on their streaming servers. If it shows less speed than your regular speed test, then the problem is your ISP. They are throttling your connection speed to Netflix, either deliberately (withholding services you've paid for to try to extort money from Netflix) or inadvertently (their upstream Internet provider has a poor connection to Netflix). Not much you can do in this case except complain to your ISP or change ISPs.

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014
Just a thought,I didn't add in the original question that on my tv I get 5 out of 5 bands Most of the time(daytime)but in the evening 4 out of 5 more and more(both 5.0& 2.4) any pro's or con's on getting the
TP-Link AC1900 Desktop Wi-Fi Range Extender.

Bars are useless for troubleshooting, because every vendor assigns different bars to different signal strength. (Made famous by Apple who tricked users into thinking iPhones had better signal reception than other phones by showing 3 bars even at very low signal strength) To really compare, you need to figure out some way to get your software to show signal strength in dB.

A range extender using a physical link to your main router is best. Either an ethernet cable or powerlink cable. The range extenders which connect to the main router via WiFi will cut your wireless bandwidth in half.

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014
thanks for the info.my real concern is streaming to my andriod smart tv box.I just found out It gives me signal strength that the box receives,it gave me 325 Mbps then 2 hours later it was 295Mbps.I'm paying for 30dwn 5 up,usually on speed test I get 35-37 dwn 5-6.33 up.I didn't stream last night now if it lags I can immediately go to the reading and also I can run speedtest.net from the browser in the adriod box so i'll know if it's the signal OR the content do you agree with my assessment?

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014
Finally got the answer to the Lagging.It's the CONTENT! LOL. The lasst time it lagged or froze the device I was on gives me a numeric readout of the signal,and it was above 30Mbps(actually said 30.5)I then used the built in browser to run speedtest.net and it gave me 26 ping 37.6 dwn 6.26 up which is more than I am paying for so it's not me.Thanks to all for your input

Solution