Question Streaming channels not available with Roku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
I’m new to streaming. I have an LG TV (vintage 2015, HD but not “smart”) and a Roku. I have wifi in my home, of course.

I know how to search for streaming channels the Roku makes available and I know how to add one with Roku when I find it.

But there are at least two classical music and opera channels—Medici.tv and arte.tv—that I’d love to stream that Roku does not give me access to. I’ve reviewed each channel’s web page. Medici offers its own app and also says “on Roku soon” but arte.tv doesn’t say anything I can find about how to stream it other than by their app to a computer or tablet (have an iPad). So I believe I could use an app and stream each of them to my iPad but I’d much rather see stuff on the big TV and hear it on my good stereo system.

How can I do that? CAN I do it at all with the hardware I now own or is it just not possible with my current TV and my current Roku?

If it's not available on Roku, then you're not going to be able to play it on your TV; not directly anyway. The easiest (if possible) would be via an HDMI output from your IPAD. Not sure if your pad has an HDMI output and even if it does, not sure how to get the audio to your sound system.

-Wolf sends

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Well, shucks. That’s pretty much what I thought would be the answer.

So....what if I had a smart tv? I don’t know much about them either, but what I’ve read makes it sound as if there is a way I could almost turn it into something that I could stream to just by having wifi in my home. If I could do that, maybe then I could stream the music channels I’m looking for.

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Ok. Thx. So a smart tv is a possible way to go. I was just reviewing the very good Tom’s Guide doc on smart TVs. That helped a lot too. Thx for your help. It’s always a win to know what to do. It’s also a win to KNOW what NOT to do. This all helps.

Reactions: Wolfshadw
One thing with smart TVs and their web browsers, they are often not as good with viewing pages as those from a computer/phone, and updates and bug fixes are also harder to get on the built in TV apps. Best thing is using the iPad with a cable to the TV, or getting a normal computer and using that with the HDMI connection to the TV. They have lighting to hdmi adapters, but the ones not from Apple have pretty bad reviews, and the apple ones cost around $45-50

Reactions: Wolfshadw
Mar 15, 2021
may be easier to simply attach a device to another HDMI input on the non-smart TV. I do that with a Wecast dongle and share screen from Android phone with an app. also works with iPhone and iPad. sure beats the price of a new smart TV.

Sep 11, 2021
I've been so frustrated with Medici.TV. Got a subscription in Nov of 2020 because they advertised that in 2021 they would be available on ROKU. NOT!!! Have written to them several times and clearly they are not intending to do so despite their pronouncement. After my complaint, they even said I would be put on a beta tester list. That was 2 mos. ago. never heard from them anything further. Good content. Not available through Roku and I have no confidence it will be anytime soon. Stick with Marquee.TV. They are scamming the public for increased membership.

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
I've been so frustrated with Medici.TV. Got a subscription in Nov of 2020 because they advertised that in 2021 they would be available on ROKU. NOT!!! Have written to them several times and clearly they are not intending to do so despite their pronouncement. After my complaint, they even said I would be put on a beta tester list. That was 2 mos. ago. never heard from them anything further. Good content. Not available through Roku and I have no confidence it will be anytime soon. Stick with Marquee.TV. They are scamming the public for increased membership.
BobaJ

Medici.tv is now available as a roku channel!

Status
Not open for further replies.