Discussion Streaming Issues With Vizios

May 5, 2022
I am trying to help my friend. She has three Vizios tvs. Two of them are around two years old and the third one is around four years old. Being rural her internet service speed is around 15 mbps. She used to have no problem streaming. So now both Netflix and Hulu pop up a message that says since they upgraded the apps they are no longer compatible with her tvs. And her Chromecast stopped working also. Other apps she has wont work either. She thinks its the TV's. Although she did go out and buy a new Netgear router and no change. I suggested that she have her boyfriend change the channels on the router and I think he tried to do that but I'm not sure about it. With the old router they were not able to access the settings even though they were typing in the correct address. So her boyfriend now knows all about channels so Im guessing he tried that. Could it be all it needs is a channel change? I have a Vizio tv that is almost 8 years old and although im limited to the apps it came with Netflix works fine on mine. Any ideas of what might be going on? Thanks.

Last edited:
For non compatible apps nothing can be done unless the TV maker issues an update to the TVs to be installed.
Not sure why a new router would help here at all, it has nothing to do with program compatibility.
For the Chromecast, how exactly has it stopped working?
Changing channels in a router, sounds like changing the wireless signal channels, you don't normally have to do that unless there is some connectivity issue at the house.
Does the house actually have working internet access outside of the TVs not working? Need to first start from the most common thing, if there is internet access then can check everything else.

May 5, 2022
For non compatible apps nothing can be done unless the TV maker issues an update to the TVs to be installed.
Not sure why a new router would help here at all, it has nothing to do with program compatibility.
For the Chromecast, how exactly has it stopped working?
Changing channels in a router, sounds like changing the wireless signal channels, you don't normally have to do that unless there is some connectivity issue at the house.
Does the house actually have working internet access outside of the TVs not working? Need to first start from the most common thing, if there is internet access then can check everything else.

Yes there is working wifi. But they are so rural the speed is 15 mbps but they have streamed before. I know I read a review once from a guy who bought Roku and he had internet service of 250 mbps but with Roku he was only getting 3 and it turned out his router was on a channel that was being overused so that is why I thought it might be an issue. And I have a 8 year old Vizio with no issues with Netflix.

I will find out about chromecast but I know it stopped working at the same time everything else stopped streaming.

Thanks.