Question Streaming media over home network

Oct 20, 2024
Currently I rip my DVDs to mkv/mp4 to stream over my home network from a NAS to a Roku Express 4K. Process is to use an app on Linux (Brasero) to create an iso then use that iso to create the mkv/mp4.

(Copyright law in the UK allows you to make personal copies of media (ebooks, digital music or video files etc) you have bought, for private purposes such as format shifting or backup.)

I have after what seems like years of searching found some streaming software (Mezzmo Pro) that will actually stream the iso files direct.

But I have the following issues:

Roku media player plays them fine but I can't turn off subtitles.
The media player on my Panasonic Blu Ray has the same problem and won't fast forward/back either.
My WD TV player plays them with no sub titles but any attempt to fast forward/back just dumps you at the beginning again.

VLC Media Player plays them as good as gold but is not available for Roku, in fact the only streaming device it seems to install on is a Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Cube.

Looks like I need to cough for a Cube since I don't want a dongle hanging off my TV, I want to feed it into my HiFi along with all the other boxes.

Anybody done anything like this who can make any suggestions, not too keen on getting sucked in to Amazon proprietary kit?

Many thanks.