Stuck audio jack in my Lenovo G570 port

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
I had my headphones plugged into my laptop and when I took the headphones out of the port, the jack broke off and part of the jack stayed in my laptop.

I tried everything, using a magnet, trying to take it off with a needle, using super glue stick with another piece to pull it off, basically most of things instead of taking off the MOBO and seeing what's up there.

How do I take it off? I'm afraid that I push it more and the speakers won't work then.

Solution
The suggestion is to use a USB "sound card." It replaces the sound card in your laptop, so you don't need to worry about the laptop's jack any more. The USB dongle will have its own jack on it for your headphones or speakers.

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
There should be a way to take it out without the repair store (they are taking a lot of money in my country, and some of them are very unprofessional).
I used some russian superglue, but it didn't manage to get stuck to the jack even after 20 minutes of gluing.

You could take the machine apart yourself, if you have 100% confidence that you could put it back yourself.

My usual solution for such an issue is to drill a hole down the middle of the rod, screw a metal screw into it, and pull on the metal screw. If the stuck item is a screw, you need a reverse-thread screw to get it out. But I don't have the tools or the precision to do that on something so small.

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

Tried it with a piece of pen paste, did it twice, still it doesn't stick to the piece (might be a bad glue, but still glue is glue). IMO drilling the audio jack is bad idea.
Taking out the MOBO myself is a bad idea as well (you have to remove the keyboard and the screen to get it out).

Depends on your experience. I did that with my work machine recently to dig out a bad wireless card. Do you know anyone with the experience to do this for you?

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

I know many people, but not with a laptop. I just tried with superglue by applying pressure to the audio jack, left it for 30 minutes, it still remained inside. I really ran out of ideas.
So what if I take it to the service center? They will try the same thing. They might also break something when they take off the MOBO. What then?

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
I've been thinking and realised that it is way too simple.
How about taking a sewing needle, heating it till it gets red, touching the headphone jack with the hot needle for 3-5 minutes and pull it out? Is it risky?

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
I'm just not sure how could an USB port match with the audio card which uses the 3,5mm ports...
P.S. The needle heating method didn't work. It sticked so well that I had to use most of my force to pull it away, but I pulled only the needle, not the headphone jack. I was so sad that it didn't work...

The USB port will not match with the audio card. Your PC will send the data to the USB thingy instead of to the audio card. The USB thingy will convert the data to analog signals, just as your audio card (well, codec) does. The headphones attach to the USB thingy.

Are you having me on here?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The suggestion is to use a USB "sound card." It replaces the sound card in your laptop, so you don't need to worry about the laptop's jack any more. The USB dongle will have its own jack on it for your headphones or speakers.

Solution
you broke the end of your 3.5 mm headphone jack off inside your computer.

have you tried using the cotton swab method?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1QCXWsFuJ0

generally there are two methods of fixing this..
-try to pull it out
-remove the motherboard to push it out if it wont pull out.

if you want to ignore the issue and you dont mind carrying around an extra little dongle with you... you can buy an external usb soundcard and use it just like you would the headphone jack on your laptop.

Barrett_killz

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
How is the cotton swab method going to work if even the needle burning method didn't work?

Tried to pull out the MOBO yesterday using some guides on the Lenovo website, took out like 25 screws and then I had to pull out the keyboard and the LCD screen, but I didn't manage to do that and assembled it back.

Basically buying a dongle would cost less than fixing the headphone jack. This would be the solution.