Stuck in Safe Mode with Broken Screen (Windows *8.1*)

mjog

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Hello community,

I currently have a broken screen, which cannot even properly close, on a Sony Vaio (not sure what the model is, but it has 4gb ram if that helps) with Windows 8.1.

Earlier today, I tried to boot into an external monitor (a TV). I stupidly took someone's advice on a past issue on a forum, which said to boot into safe mode, and I did not realize that the screen would no longer appear into the external monitor.

I cannot access into BIOS settings because 8.1 has added a security feature that only allows me to access BIOS-like configuration settings- if I hold shift while CLICKING (not pressing) the shutdown/restart button. Which means I am stuck, and have no clue what to do.

I tried closing the lid as soon as it started but didn't get any positive results.

I do not have a friend with the same laptop to blindly "guide me".

Help please?

((Feedback on first post aswell?))

Hi,

Just have few question.
1. How did you load Safe Mode? (tapping F8 or did you set it in System Configuration)
2. Have you tried doing a hard reset with your laptop alread?

Here's some troubleshooting steps that may help in resolving the issue.
- If you just did F8 while the laptop is booting up a simple restart would fix the issue. Remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Power it back on and make sure the external monitor is still connected and wait until it loads into the desktop.
- If you configure it to load in Safe Mode using System Configuration the only way around that issue is to unplug the built in screen of your laptop from the motherboard and your external display will act as the built in display once disconnected.

Hope this 2 troubleshooting steps will help.

mjog

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

Thank you for your reply,

I believe I got it in safe mode from System configuration (Win+R, msconfig)....
Is there anyway to get out of safe mode without touching the motherboard?