Solved! Stuck key on water damaged keyboard, can I disable Win 10 login?

Cas76

Estimable
Dec 20, 2019
As stated, I've spilled something on the keyboard of my HP laptop and have been using it with a USB keyboard while we decide what to do.
It's had a few issues that often resolve by restarting it but the main one has generally been having a stuck key continually typing at the login screen (mostly the '6' which I got annoyed with and snapped off...no success) so no matter what I try, I simply can't put in my password. Usually, it eventually allows me to do so and stupidly I didn't think to find a solution while logged in and now I can't get past it at all.

Is there any way of getting past the login screen or even disabling the keyboard just to get on there and then remove the login screen completely? Or even just disable the 6 somehow?

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Reactions: Hydra119
Solution
You should not be using it if it was not opened up, all power sources and other connected devices removed and left to dry out for days (yes I said days) depending on how much liquid. Then, once dry, if anything other than clear water, it should have been cleaned of any possible residue inside and out and then again left to dry out for a day or two.

Then and only then should it have been powered on and used. Anything else can lead to all kinds of damage. All it takes is a drop of moisture in the wrong place and you can fry your something, including killing the laptop.

As to the password, using an external keyboard should in no way limit your ability to enter a password. And if a stuck key is truly the problem, then you just need to...
You should not be using it if it was not opened up, all power sources and other connected devices removed and left to dry out for days (yes I said days) depending on how much liquid. Then, once dry, if anything other than clear water, it should have been cleaned of any possible residue inside and out and then again left to dry out for a day or two.

Then and only then should it have been powered on and used. Anything else can lead to all kinds of damage. All it takes is a drop of moisture in the wrong place and you can fry your something, including killing the laptop.

As to the password, using an external keyboard should in no way limit your ability to enter a password. And if a stuck key is truly the problem, then you just need to clean the laptop (as mentioned above) to resolve the problem.

Other than this, we can't help you. We do not assist in bypassing any passwords, log in requirements, etc. Please read the following thread... https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/read-regarding-passwords-lock-codes-pin-numbers-etc.19650/

Solution

Cas76

Estimable
Dec 20, 2019

As to the password, using an external keyboard should in no way limit your ability to enter a password. And if a stuck key is truly the problem, then you just need to clean the laptop (as mentioned above) to resolve the problem.

Other than this, we can't help you. We do not assist in bypassing any passwords, log in requirements, etc. Please read the following thread... https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/read-regarding-passwords-lock-codes-pin-numbers-etc.19650/

Oops, I should have specified sorry as I read the linked thread. I can log in with my password when it's not stuck just typing that one key, so when it would settle then I can use my password obviously...it's more that the one key now seems permanently stuck going so I'm unable to type anything else.

I flipped it immediately and left it to dry for about a week before trying anything and found that some of the keys worked, but needed the USB keyboard. I didn't even think to clean it though, damn!!
I did originally have a look to see if the keyboard would be fairly easy to remove to have a look but it's almost impossible. Despite having left it to dry then because I've been unable to clean it, would it be fixable by having the keyboard replaced or have I likely completely stuffed it by drying it but not cleaning it?

If the damage is within the keyboard itself, then replacing it would resolve it. However if it involves where the keyboard say connects to the motherboard, then that would be more work/cost.

If you want to try and do it yourself, if you do a search for replacing the keyboard on your make/model you will likely find either a video or a walk through on how to do it. Otherwise you would need to go through a local tech.