Student laptop with some gaming

yoippari

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The fiance is looking for a laptop to replace her aging busted compaq thing. Budget is a concern but the biggest thing I'm running into is the size vs price vs discreet graphics card. She doesn't really know what she wants. A num pad would be nice but I don't think you can find a separate one in anything smaller than 15.6" but she would like a 14" for better portability. A backpack with a laptop sleeve might help with the size but that is one more thing to buy.

The faqs:
1. What is your budget?
hopefully $500-600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Eh, whatever fits the size

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. It will get hauled back and forth to school a lote

5. How much battery life do you need?
Most of the time it will be plugged in so battery doesn't matter as much.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
She will definitely want to play minecraft. Probably other games and I may convince her to do some more casual multi player games (baulder's gate ultimate?) Perhaps netflix with vga out to a tv.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic office uses.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
She isn't going to run into capacity problems any time soon.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Mostly looking at direct from manufacturer

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Til it dies.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd. Blue ray might be nice but totally unnecessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Looking at lenovo a lot right now. Just word of mouth and not hearing problems about them.
I have a short term fringe benefit deal for some of their laptops or just their current sales. A z575 would be $510 but wont ship right away. u410 (43762HU) or a y570 for $650

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.