Student Wins '1984' Suit, $150K Against Amazon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus_br

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
LOL, when even someone from a non english speaking country finds so many errors in article after article, sure thing it means something is completely wrong.

I mean, it probably doesn't take all that time to check everything written, as we readers all do.
If i had to write for living, i would be ashamed of so many mistakes.

But then, again, perhaps the sallary is adequate to the level of some of these "writers".

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]Maybe instead of just trusting spell check you should actually proof read your articles. How do you half of you still have jobs?[/citation]

I agree. I wanted to enjoy this article, but the glaring errors really threw me off.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]Maybe instead of just trusting spell check you should actually proof read your articles. How do you half of you still have jobs?[/citation]
Proofread much, do we?

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I definitely think the Kid was in the right here. Amazon should have posted a notice that said there is a suspicion that certain books may have been pirated within the next couple of days, these copies will be removed from the Kindle systems. Then, for those who want to validate there copy ahead of time and even given them the opportunity to purchase the pirated e-books and maybe a discount for their honesty so their copy would be valid when this removal software went through the systems.

It always nice to sock a big 500 lbs. Gorilla in the mouth ;)

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Hey here's a question.. how much do you think the publishers of that book (or music for that matter) would want from him if he stole it. Not the amount of money the book was worth, they would want 10,000 times that amount. We have all seen it with file sharing. So if they can get judgments against people for "stealing" their work, this kid should be able to get a judgment for stealing the book from him. Amazon didn't ask and the kid paid for it. That theft. So $150K sounds about right. Where the hell is all this anti-America crap coming from?

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom] the dealer actually OWNS the car, having purchased it from the manufacturer, and is free to do whatever they wish with it. They may only not legally violate the manufacturer's IP, which in that case, would mean making their own identical items.[/citation]

OK... How does that differ from what I said, though I didn't clarify IP?

"manufactures can't do squat because the end dealer actually owns the end user rights of the vehicle"

I think anyone with 2 bits of common sense would know by default they aren't purchasing a license agreement with most products be it on the distributor or consumer end. It'd take a real ass monkey to buy a car from a manufacturer, relabel it and then try to sell it under another name as a first sell product, then an even bigger ass monkey to buy it.

G

Um to the folks using the auto dealership analogy, you might want to know that new cars are sold on consignment. The auto manufacture owns the car till it's sold to the customer .

Status
Not open for further replies.