Study Blames Smartphone Battery-life on Programming Errors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Isn't it amazing how far we've come from laptops to netbooks to features phones to smartphones? If laptop batteries only last 3 hours, we carry an extra or buy a bigger battery. Carriers, software developers and customers have complained for years about poor battery life. Unfortunately, there isn't a simple answer, as smartphone makers compete with better resolution screens, camera lenses, 1+Ghz processors, GPS and more. Consumers demand longer battery life, but until we eliminate lithium ion batteries with another source of power (solar, for example), smartphone battery performance will suffer. Having an mobile app that turns off the browser screen quickly when not in use is the best solution for now.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I think the perfect amount of time for a smartphone would be 12 to 18 hours with near-constant use. That way you could use it throughout the workday and over-lap a little at home, then charge when you're sleeping.

Asking for 3 days on a single charge is just lazy.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
hells yeah its bad programing making my electrick bike run out to fast not my out of shape body. iwe seen to meny ppl blaming the phones while running 40 programs in the background.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
should be re-named... "sloppy debugging, the results are in... increased battery usage".

my hat is off to perdue... an error checker that checks for battery consumption errors!

now if they could make a forum post checker that weeds out "the stupid and point-less" forum posts, that would be Amazing... (so be it, if this post is SaP... (Stupid and Point-less) LOL)

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Science is about truth and figures. Without a proper study, a fact remains as myth.[/citation]

Science is about money and politics, without a proper study, nobody is paid.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i guess they never heard of JuiceDefender almost double the battery.[/citation]

My little Xperia Play would slaughter its battery in several hours before (custom rom's fault probably) - thanks to JD it'll last a few days now.

If a single application can rectify so many of the battery-drain faults caused by others, why can't this kind of functionality just be integrated into the OS itself? A firmer hand, so to speak.

G

lol@ the armchair quarterbacks offering suggestions when they themselves have never even worked with wakelocks and system APIs.

go back to writing your 'this sucks' 0 star reviews fcukwads

Status
Not open for further replies.