Study Claiming IE Users Are Dumb Just A Hoax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Nothing more ironic when an article convinces most people they are intelligently superior to others (non IE users vs IE users), and then it turns out they were all fooled by a hoax.

G

LOL I knew it. As soon as I read the story, I said it was bs even though it placed me at the top (Opera user). It just goes to show how much fact checking goes on with the media.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Its always fun to see mob mentality, especially when it takes over the vary people who are suppose to see through it.

Just because your friends are publishing it doesn't make it true. I thought checking the source was the first step in any publication?

Now if there was significant damage ( just saying) who exactly gets the lawsuit? The sight that posted it as a joke, or the sights that blindly posted it as true fact? That would be a story to make things interesting.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I give Toms credit for not plagiarizing and giving AptiQuant credit. However check your sources its not that darn time consuming. Journalism has turned into copy paste on the net.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hoax or not, I still say IE users are on the dumber side, well, I'll say more like less computer literate...for the most part. Those that ARE more computer literate tend to use other browsers because of IE's history.

1fastbiker

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I have experience with all the browsers in question taking only the most recent revisions of products into comparison.

For me, IE9 is the clear winner because of its ultra effective, clean, efficient and organized interface. I have encountered coding interpretation issues with all of them Opera actually being the worst.

The journalist also did not figure out that the Windows default browser is likely to be used most by lesser intelligent people for real and apparently no so obvious reason if you are a slanted technology journalist looking for attention... LESSER INTELLIGENT PEOPLE ARE LESS LIKELY TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THEIR BROWSER FROM DEFAULT....

A bunch of BS...

1fastbiker

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I still think the "jump off IE" bandwagon is just a fad... I am very impressed with IE9 minus an issue that has been fixed that Firefox had also

G

I think it was a good trick, but the reason it was able to work is really the sad part.

It was so believable because their are tons of studies that try to sum up their data in a neat table that makes an oversimplified statement. It's kind of like science gone wrong. When something is complicated and taken out of context, the facts get distorted; that's evident everywhere.

Another way to say it is that this article shows the state of how sometimes, you can be led to make unreasonable assumptions through normalities.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Hey Tom's, how lazy can you get? After all you "journalists" are PAID, pretty well too, to do your job, and you couldn't even bother doing basic leg work? LOLYou guys weren't had, you DIDN'T DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY![/citation]

Trolling?

They are not really journalists. They take the news from all over the web that might interest their readers and post it here with links to the real article. It's great, I don't have to surf multiple websites to find interesting news, I just come here.

Know what you read and stop bitching.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Ya know, it takes a lot of courage to admit to screwing up. Pride and comfort are at stake, and often people value those two things more than they should...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
there goes one website that loses its reputation as being a trustworthy site. i use multiple browsers depending on the websites i visit. so the next hoax news story will be people who use different browsers have multiple personality disorder.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I don't understand this fanaticism with browsers either. I've been asking myself why people would go up in arms over what amounts to less than a second of difference in the real world. I came to the conclusion if you're just going to install and use the browser (and not dig deeper into its advanced tweaking features), they're all the same.

G

I think dumb people are those who think are smart...and brag about it.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have use all the browsers and have never really had many issues with any of them, they all take you to the same place. They don't protect you from viruses and other nasty software/apps. I use IE9 for my schools site because FF5 is not supported. Some sites load better depending on which browser I am using. Mainly I use FF5 for the majority of my browsing, but switch to IE9 for certain sites that do not support FF5 yet. It all boils down to personal preference for the more informed people. Just like AV software, those who are uninformed use factory preloaded apps instead of competing products. Or they use what they see advertised and better known like IE9 and Norton/McAfee.

I use what works for me and does what I need it to do.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Trolling?They are not really journalists. They take the news from all over the web that might interest their readers and post it here with links to the real article. It's great, I don't have to surf multiple websites to find interesting news, I just come here.Know what you read and stop bitching.[/citation]
You people are so amusing. Every time I see the word "troll" anymore I'm assured that the person accused has made a valid point and is being attacked for it.

If this is a legit site and claims it is "news" they should at least have the ability to do a quick check on the source of the information. No excuses here. Tom's goofed. Suck it up, and double check the sources. Got that.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Trolling?They are not really journalists. They take the news from all over the web that might interest their readers and post it here with links to the real article. It's great, I don't have to surf multiple websites to find interesting news, I just come here.Know what you read and stop bitching.[/citation]

You people are so amusing. Every time I see the word "troll" anymore I'm assured that the person accused has made a valid point and is being attacked for it.

If this is a legit site and claims it is "news" they should at least have the ability to do a quick check on the source of the information. No excuses here. Tom's goofed. Suck it up, and double check the sources. Got that?

Status
Not open for further replies.