Study: No Decline in Illegal Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachochease

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Unless you're a U.S. resident, it's still next to impossible to legally download TV or Movies. Make content more accessible outside the US, and maybe these numbers might start to decline.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]nachochease[/nom]Unless you're a U.S. resident, it's still next to impossible to legally download TV or Movies. Make content more accessible outside the US, and maybe these numbers might start to decline.[/citation]

I'm not sure how easy it is in the U.S. either. Whenever our DVR somehow fails to record one of our favorite TV programs, we'll hit up CBS or NBC's website in attempt to watch the program online. It's not very easy to even find the right link to click. And 90% of what's there is 2 minute teaser clips of the show.

And trying to use Microsoft's latest Media Center built into Windows 7 isn't any better. Again, 90% of what's there is 2 minute clips, even though Microsoft dubs the program as being able to allow you to watch your favorite shows by the web.

I will say, as far as TV/Movie/Music downloads go. I'm not a fan of buying digital downloads. Without a hard copy (CD/DVD), once you lose your original file, how can you PROVE later that you "OWN" a license. Ten years from now are they really going to have some record under your username that you "purchased" a copy of this song, or that song?

This is why I don't use Steam to purchase games. If Steam ever shuts down, you no longer own those games.

G

If thy base their results solely on the amount of sold or rented DVD's I think their numbers may be off by lots!

With the closing of TPB tracker and the removal of illegal downloads on mininova, as well as youtube which removed copyrighted material, there's a DRASTIC decrease of downloaded material!

Only a percentage of people is searching for alternate sources!
I think this article is just bull sh#t, crapped out to get another article out!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]I wish I lived in a REAL democracy... :-([/citation]
What you want is a REAL REPUBLIC. In a true democracy the people with the big guns win.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]What you want is a REAL REPUBLIC. In a true democracy the people with the big guns win.[/citation]

you mean a real republic like China's?

G

Offer a reasonably priced service that allows me to subscribe to my favorite shows and stream them in HD, without any damn DRM hassle, and I'd be done with all my illegal downloading.

noahjwhite

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
[citation][nom]Exodite10[/nom]Offer a reasonably priced service that allows me to subscribe to my favorite shows and stream them in HD, without any damn DRM hassle, and I'd be done with all my illegal downloading.[/citation]

Amen to that!

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation]This is why I don't use Steam to purchase games. If Steam ever shuts down, you no longer own those games.[/citation]

I bought all my non valve games on ebay not to long ago. I switched my isp and didnt have the net for a few days, low and behold, stupid steam needed the internet to sign in offline mode.....and yes your absolutely right, if steam is gone, so is hundreds and hundreds of dollars per person that millions of people spent :S

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I watch alot of stuff on hulu now. I was amazed that they had Gurren Lagan on there. I also head on over to network official sites to watch shows I may miss. Honestly, it's more convenient to stream something than waiting for it to download before you can watch it. Now if only there was a type of adaptive internet radio that would let you listen to what you want, when you want, with a few commercials thrown in. I think people would find that more convenient than going through news groups to download stuff. Personally, I listen to live365 when I want some internet radio, but sometimes you just want to hear a certain set of songs.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
What you people want is not democracy or republic but rights.

The consumer has no rights and are forced to piracy in many cases. I'm not trying to justify someone going through and downloading stuff simply because they can but the people who want to give money to watch shows they miss or listen to songs once in a while or have the same movie at home on their DVD as on their iPod.

The first company that gives the consumer rights will be insanely rich because they'll convert people who don't want to pirate but do because they basically have to into paying customers.

I want to buy TV episodes but I don't want to be overcharged for an entire season and I want it in HD. I miss stuff regularly. I want to be able to watch live sports over the internet, but the NFL won't let me. I want to randomly pick a new song every day without having to turn on the awful radio. And I want to pay money to do it, but they won't take my money... It's insane. They want to cry about "piracy" when it's more "stupidity" than anything.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Geoff Taylor[/nom]There are now more than thirty-five legal digital music services in the UK, offering music fans a great choice of ways to get our choice of highly compressed music legally,[/citation]

There I fixed it...

And that is why I pirate.

G

"There I fixed it...

And that is why I pirate."

I admit I don't really listen to music at all myself but even so I have to agree it's ridiculous that I get higher-quality audio embedded in my HD movies and TV-shows than is available for pure music downloads.

At one point the compressed audio formats made sense due to the storage, bandwidth and processing constraints but that's just not the case anymore.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]What you want is a REAL REPUBLIC. In a true democracy the people with the big guns win.[/citation]

Failed misserably with your point cause all the examples show otherwise..

[citation][nom]nachochease[/nom]Unless you're a U.S. resident, it's still next to impossible to legally download TV or Movies. Make content more accessible outside the US, and maybe these numbers might start to decline.[/citation]

As simple as his arguement sounds it does make perfect sence. When i returned form the US back here, in Greece, I couldnt find anything neither a way to be provided with all the shows etc that I had grown to be so fond of while living there and was annoying as fk. Addint the fact that even if you order something AFTER you manage to find 1% of the things that interest you you realise the troubles of regions etc and you are headed to even find out for the first time in your life in multiple cases of what torrents are.

So indeed a lot of ppl that get involved into P2P get introduced and used to it as if so harmless with this as a real excuse practically.

Other than that I dont know what to say. I think anyone that is using the web more than often for more than simple use of Facebook and emails or whatever is aware of how much torrents etc are turning more and more easy to find and use.

Even though with all the fuzz about TPB and mininova being taken down you might have expected otherwise, might as well be why people are using more and more those sites refered in the article.

When Sony and the rest stop making money from it themselves then they should care about the poor people that do it. When they pay the price 100% of what they have been screaming and pretending to be against all this time when their mouths are as big as their freaking wallets, then they should start chasing the rest. I cant consider the poor ppl and average user a thief when they screw up the artists themselves by making profit out of contracts as proved the past few months.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I looked at the BPI article (thanks for the link).

First, it was done for the British recording industry by Harris Interactive - an apparently independent firm. That may be a plus, but when your paycheque (we're talking UK here) is on the line, you may slant the direction of your research by being very selective of who you poll.

Second, of the 3442 people polled, only one third (1012 to be exact) said they pirate music. The article then states, "The survey showed a net increase in the use of web-based or “non-P2P” methods during the last six months". The increase is in the different methods of downloading and not necessarily the number of downloads.

Finally, the percents mentioned in the article are percents of a percent - 47% of the 1012 who download illegally; 31% of the 1012 who download illegally, or approximately 303 people, download illegally on a daily basis, which turns out to be about 10% of the overall people polled.

So how does that percent compare to people who steal from stores? Where does that rank compared to people who steal little things from the company they work for, like paper and such? In other words, how does it compare to the general level of theft across society.

I don't do illegal downloads, as I am a copyright holder and part of my income relies on that copyright, yet I feel the sense of frustration other people feel. Yes, I would like to take the movies I bought on DVD and put them on my Zen Vision or my wife's iPod. Living in Canada I don't have to be concerned about DMCA prosecution, so there are ways I can do this other than "piracy". The other thing I would be concerned about with illegal downloads is security. What better way to transmit trojans and viruses than through "free" downloads? Not being familiar with the P2P community, I would feel vulnerable.

The entertainment industries need to devise a new business model, but can they develop one that trusts the consumer? I don't think there is much trust within their own ranks, so I don't expect that they will be open to us anytime soon. When the book publishing industry wishes they could stop people from reselling an old book or trading it or even giving it away, what hope is there that any other group will help us, the people who provide them with their income, to resell a DVD or videocassette or CD or software. They'd send the police to your garage sale and have you hauled away in chians for that if they could.

I think Descendency (above) has it right. The first company to work with the consumer will make a killing, at least for a while. But perhaps the few greedy idiots will eventually ruin it for all once again.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
40% of employees in Latin America do not have retirement taxes payed by his employer, so they don't officially work, and have not right to access to a credit card.

In other words: they cannot buy anything on Internet. Price does not matter. Is not the price. There is no choice other than pirated software, music, pictures, anything. No choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.