Studying abroad, need help buying a laptop (w/ Laptop Buyers FAQ).

reccos7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
1. What is your budget?

My budget is in the area of $1500.00 give or take.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Since I will be using it for school I am looking for portability so 15.6" would be the biggest I would like to go.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I'm not the biggest critic when it comes to resolution, however full HD wouldn't be a bad thing lol.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

This would be a desktop replacement as sadly I won't be bringing my desktop with me :(.

5. How much battery life do you need?

In terms of battery life I'm looking for something that would give me in the way of 3.5+ hours of use.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Since it will be a desktop replacement and I do game alittle I would like it to play games such as DayZ, Civ V, PayDay 2, and Skyrim if at all possible on low-medium graphics.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

As far as other tasks go, I don't foresee any strenuous tasks. I think I would just need it for word processing, probably some excel type applications but little to no photo/video editing and no autocad or autocad type applications.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I would like to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500gb-1tb of storage to ensure I won't need anymore for the foreseeable future.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I've considered the following sites and laptops:
Y50 & Y510
Acer Aspire V7
I usually use newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, bestbuy, futureshop, any sites like that I have no problem using.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I need this laptop for at least the next 4 years, as this is the duration of my program

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't need an optical drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

In terms of brands I'm open to most. In the past I've gone with HP but have had multiple issues with my HP Envy 14 series. However, I'm not opposed to HP I would just be much more cautious the next time I look at buying an HP product. Other than that I don't hold anything against any brands so I'm willing to try anything.

13. What country do you live in?

Currently I live in Canada but will be moving to Ireland to pursue my studies.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would just like to thank anyone who took the time to read through that and help me find the right laptop. I have been trying to find a laptop for quite sometime to no avail and hope that someone will be able to shed some light on my situation and point me in the right direction. Thank-you.

Solution
Well you've narrowed it to two very good laptops. Now it's a matter of performance vs portability, since you said games on medium is enough (and the Gigabyte gets you Crysis 3 on High with ~50fps) go for the Gigabyte!! You would only regret it if you were to push the laptop to its limits. Otherwise it gonna be your back pain, from walking around Dublin all day with the bulkier Sager, to give you regrets.

The Y50 is an IdeaPad series laptop not a ThinkPad. ThinkPads are pretty sturdy laptops, but IdeaPads are no more durable than an average laptop.

ThinkPads are business oriented laptops and the most powerful graphics chip in any ThinkPad would be the nVidia Quadro K2100m which is a $250 CAD upgrade from the K1100m in the ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation which has a starting price of $1,549 CAD.

The Quadro K2100m is considered to be a little more powerful than the nVidia GT 845m / GT 775m.

The Quadro K1100m is considered to be about equal to the nVidia GT 840m / GT 745m

reccos7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I've really considered the Lenovo Y50 but the reviews of the screen have been quite bad. People have said that it is of extremely poor quality but then you have others who say it's fine, I don't know who to believe lol. As for the ThinkPad it looks like it could be a strong contender, but I was wondering if there were any other brands that had comparable laptops to these that Lenovo offers. Again thank you to all who have taken the time to reply.

reccos7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I've looked at that laptop as well, there's just so many choices it's hard to settle on one lol. I'm going to UCD but was very close to going to UL as well!!! Are you doing an exchange or entering into a program abroad?

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
I have looked at every possibility and that Asus is the best for me.

Going for 1 year with the Science Without Borders program (you gonna hear about it for sure at UCD, I bet there are a lot of ppl going there on this program)

reccos7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
That's awesome man! Good luck with everything, UL has a beautiful campus I'm sure you're going to have a great time. I have heard of that program very briefly but don;t really know anything about it. As for the Asus you really can't go wrong it's a very good laptop, I'm in a bad place where every time I feel like I'm going to pull the trigger on a laptop I change my mind :(.

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Thx ^^

Back on the laptops, I stayed away from Lenovo because one of my best friends just bought an Y40 and totally regretted it. But you are spending more than us so if you don't care the about looks the Sager one offers more power for less $$.

I'm not sure but I believe the Gigabyte laptop got the Kepler GTX 860m, and thats bad....it's also 14" so if you aren't planning on moving the laptop around much it's worse for gaming IMO. Between those two I would pick the Sager, unless you confirm the Gigabyte has the Maxwell GPU.

reccos7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Ya I've noticed that a lot of people have been dissatisfied with their Lenovos. It was the laptop that I was strongly considering until I read some more reviews. Now I'm stuck on those two laptops, the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the Sager is because of the thickness/weight. I really need this laptop to be portable.

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Well you've narrowed it to two very good laptops. Now it's a matter of performance vs portability, since you said games on medium is enough (and the Gigabyte gets you Crysis 3 on High with ~50fps) go for the Gigabyte!! You would only regret it if you were to push the laptop to its limits. Otherwise it gonna be your back pain, from walking around Dublin all day with the bulkier Sager, to give you regrets.

Solution