Stumped by freezing laptop

LoLcAkEs

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hello,

My brother recently gave me his laptop to take a look at, and I am completely stumped by this problem.

The laptop is an HP G62 from 2010, No O/S at the moment, with stock everything (4GB RAM, 320GB HDD).

The [strike]system[/strike] laptop would randomly lock up in windows, and would require a shutoff from the power button. Thinking it was something he installed, I wiped the drive to try to clean install Windows 10. However, the [strike]system[/strike] laptop now freezes during the windows install. I then started troubleshooting hardware:

RAM: Multiple Passes of Memtest, passes all tests no problem

HDD: [strike]System[/strike] Laptop would freeze when testing HDD in Seatools DOS, placed the drive in my Desktop and seatools DOS passed on the drive no issues.

CPU: Ran Prime95 through Hirens, ran on Small FFT for 30 minutes no problem.

I did all this testing under good thermal conditions, and (with exception of HDD in Laptop), they ran with no problems. I don't know what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated!

LoLcAkEs

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I have not yet tried new RAM or another HDD, as I am trying to avoid spending any money on this laptop since it is no longer worth it. However, my testing of both of these components through memtest and Seatools shows they are functioning perfectly. Additionally, I can confirm overheating is not a problem.

Thanks for your help.

jimkarageo

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
i am suspecting the motherboard.but you should test RAM and HDD first.try the ram of one o your friend's laptop.and buy a small HDD if its necesary you will find a nice price on ebay or any similar site.or you can try your local ad site.

LoLcAkEs

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Hello, thanks for the response. I can confirm the RAM and HDD are functioning properly. Oddly, I am able to launch Mini Windows XP from Hiren's Boot CD and operate it without any problems, however, if I try to run Ubuntu from a USB, it freezes after a random amount of time.

I'm also thinking it is a motherboard problem, but I can't figure out why it would freeze during Linux from USB and Windows install to HDD, but not during Windows XP from Hiren's bootCD.