Subwoofer Placement Problem

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
My 5.1 setup is giving imbalanced sound ... i.e. woofer sound is not blending with the satellite sound, due to this, the sound is like more resound and bad sounding ... so, I assume subwoofer placement is wrong, when I try to troubleshoot, experts are telling to place the woofer in the corner of the room, but no luck.

Where to place the woofer to avoid resound and to produce balanced sound?

I placed satellites 10ft above from the floor in 12ft*10ft room

Audiophiles ... Please Help

The suggested corner placement gives you the most sound it also gives you the worst quality of sound. If you are getting boomy sound from the subwoofer then you need to move it away from room boundaries (walls and floor).
Move the subwoofer away from any wall or the floor to reduce the output. Adjust the level of the subwoofer at each location before evaluating if you like it or not, Try firing the sub in a different direction. You can also try plugging the port of the sub. Rolled up socks or a piece of foam will work.
Placing the front channels 10' up is usually not the best way to go. If you can bring them down it would help. Level with the display or your ears is good. I usually suggest keeping the sub closer to the front speakers than the listener for a better blend.
Acoustic treatments for bass problems are likely way out of the price range of your system.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Thanks for your reply ...
I have No Luck ... I tried all the places, but no improvement
I am using Old Creative T6100 speakers, may be the quality of amplifiers/filters are bad

I tried will the below sound cards (do get surprise, why I brought this many, I am audiophile, included the reasons why I brought)
X-fi extreme gamer (First X-Fi card I brought)
X-fi extreme music (Particularly brought this for Built-in Dolby Decoder)
M-Audio rev 5.1 (Particularly brought this because it support 192 sampling)
SoundBlaster Z (Brought for Optical out)

coming back ...
With any of the sound sources, it is giving boomy re-sound, M-Audio little bit tolerable than X-fi
Due to all this, I hate woofer sound system, I am planning to replace this with non-woofer model (creative gigaworks model)

If you have any EQ available in the audio drivers or playback software you can try to use that to fix the bass,
It is true that the creative speakers are not meant for that type of use and won't really blend when separated at the distances you use them. Don't expect to get a great result.
If your budget is small the Energy Take system is decent.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

Solution