Solved! Subwoofer/Soundbar or Subwoofer/Active Speakers

Solution
Count me as biased not liking soundbars unless you just absolutely have no space/budget for regular speakers.

Soundbars to me have no soundstage, the $^%# drives are inches apart. L+R speakers needs to be good few feet apart to create that illusion that you are in a big music hall. There is a calculator how apart they need be based on how far back you are sitting. Some soundbars say they create a virtual surround soundspace (via electronics) but am skeptical, I prefer the real McCoy thank you.

OTH, that $99 sub Polk 10" sub is too good to be true, I would want to see a graph of its frequency response, it needs to be fairly flat and I would like it to be down -3db no higher than say 35 hz (you want 20 but $99 ain't gonna happen). The...
Count me as biased not liking soundbars unless you just absolutely have no space/budget for regular speakers.

Soundbars to me have no soundstage, the $^%# drives are inches apart. L+R speakers needs to be good few feet apart to create that illusion that you are in a big music hall. There is a calculator how apart they need be based on how far back you are sitting. Some soundbars say they create a virtual surround soundspace (via electronics) but am skeptical, I prefer the real McCoy thank you.

OTH, that $99 sub Polk 10" sub is too good to be true, I would want to see a graph of its frequency response, it needs to be fairly flat and I would like it to be down -3db no higher than say 35 hz (you want 20 but $99 ain't gonna happen). The -3db point is where it becomes inaudible. Plus it won't be as CLEAR as you asked. Polk is a PORTED design (see that big hole?) not as clear as a SEALED design (no holes).

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

Thank you for the input. I am going to be putting this in a bedroom so it wont be that big of a soundstage but I have room for speakers with soundbar off the table. For $300 or under, what active speakers/subwoofer should I get? That is around my budget or I could just get highly rated active speakers without a sub and add it on later down the line?

Feb 3, 2019
I've also been looking for a new sound system for my PC and have considered both options you've listed. Despite hating Razer, I looked at the Razer Leviathan due to it's space-saving format. The complaints about the Leviathan dying just outside the one year warranty period (and many instances of rattling after mere weeks or months) convinced me to stay away. Razer's suggestion post warranty was "buy another," and Razer seems to have a generally awful support record. Unless you consider $200 to be chump change, I'd stay away. I also don't know if you're aware, but the soundbar shuts off after 20 minutes of silence when connected to PCs, which many find annoying.

Assuming you buy from authorized resellers, the R1850DB has a 2 year warranty, and the Polk sub has 3 years on the amp/5 years on the woofer. Amazon is an authorized Polk reseller, and Edifier has an online storefront at Amazon, so you're covered there. Both products have solid reviews, so I don't think you can go wrong. My only reason for not pulling the trigger on that combo (yet) is that I'm still trying to figure where I can fit the satellites on my desk.