Suggestion on directly allowing airflow on Laptop components.

Cooling your laptop components by removing bottom service plate and using a laptop cooler?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Alright while reading an article on a new laptop cooler I thought of something and I want to hear what your thoughts are.

So from my experiences laptop coolers are not really helpful for cooling laptops, especially when gaming. Most laptops have some servicing cover that can be removed to to replace memory and hard drives. Some if not most gaming laptops have a large service cover that when taken off you see most of the motherboard.

So what I was wondering was is it a good idea to cool a laptop (through airflow) directly to it's components like CPU, RAM, HDD, WiFI, and maybe even GPU by removing he bottom plate. Do you think this is safe? What I'm worrying most about is dust. It's not as a big problem for desktops because we can take all components out and clean it off but it's a little harder with laptops. Do you think there would be any improvements on cooling?

Thanks for reading and I hope you leave your thoughts.

Blaise170

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I don't think taking off the backplate would really give you the cooling you're thinking of. Most of the time, the CPU is near the top of the motherboard where you can't access it without taking the entire laptop apart. Generally, the RAM and HDD are the only two components easily accessible on the underside, which means you'd only be cooling those, in addition to taking a lot more dust up into it.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

You are right. The only parts that are exposed are my two 2.5" Storage Devices (SSD & HDD), mSATA SSD, WiFI Module, and 4 RAM Sticks.