Suggestion on Laptop for Cad and Casual Gaming

ejlt1991

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hi, Im a Civil Engineer and need a laptop for Running Cad and Casual Gaming.

budget?
$600-1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17 or larger.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacement Laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Just a couple of hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Sport Games and Shooting Games mostly. With medium settings im ok.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Autocad.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I want it to be SSD DISK for more perfomance. 256gb and up.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Many years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM/Writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I dont want HP because of the overheating problems.

13. What country do you live in?

United States.

Solution
How big and complex are your CAD drawing...even if they are only 2d?
Complex CAD project can be really demanding.
All of my architect professional friends in the end bought high-end gaming rigs to do their CAD jobs.
All of their PCs are in €2000 and above league.
One of them tried for lower specs and they regreted this choice and went for the more powerful machines.
I am not using any of those CAD programs, hence I do not know what is the real need in that area, but based on those I saw, having a max USD1000 laptop could be very a bad move.
My feelings tells me that if you must use laptop, you should see those over USD2500 laptop.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Long story short, notebook equals overheating problems. Even those manufacturers mark as workstations or gaming notebooks, long time high/full load will drive the device in high temperatures. And with your budget, you won't even fit in workstation quality. I strongly suggest reconsidering classic desktop PC.

ejlt1991

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

The problem is I need a laptop, all I do with cad is 2d works.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
How big and complex are your CAD drawing...even if they are only 2d?
Complex CAD project can be really demanding.
All of my architect professional friends in the end bought high-end gaming rigs to do their CAD jobs.
All of their PCs are in €2000 and above league.
One of them tried for lower specs and they regreted this choice and went for the more powerful machines.
I am not using any of those CAD programs, hence I do not know what is the real need in that area, but based on those I saw, having a max USD1000 laptop could be very a bad move.
My feelings tells me that if you must use laptop, you should see those over USD2500 laptop.

Solution