Suggestions for a broke graduate?

valkyrio

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I've been using an iPhone 3G for the past four years or so, and I'm getting a little tired of it. However...with all of the options out there, I honestly have no idea what kind of phone to get. I'd love any suggestions.

The types of things I do with a phone: Netflix, music, text, some games, ssh, occasional take pictures (concert/club settings). Because money is somewhat of an issue, I was thinking of getting the HTC EVO™ V from Virgin, and getting their $35 unlimited data/messaging plan. Seems perfect for me, but I'm not sure if the phone would fit what I want to do and some of the reviews aren't particularly comforting (particularly regarding its battery life, photo quality and screen resolution.) Also I'm guessing it wouldn't be particularly hard to unlock the tethering without having to actually pay for it.

The Galaxy S3 looks interesting...and I so wish I had gotten it when Virgin Mobile was offering it for only $300 and $30 a month unlimited data...but oh well. The pricing with other carriers does not make me happy ($70 a month with Sprint unlimited) :/

I don't want another iPhone, though. As easy as they are to use, they can be a complete pain sometimes and I really don't want to switch to yet another proprietary mess of charging/data cables.

I'm also intrigued by the Lumia...if they're worth getting, I might wait until November and see how the pricing works out.

So yeah. Suggestions welcome, thanks for reading.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have found plans where you get a nice Android phone for free when you purchase a $30/month plan with no data, but those will require a bit of digging. I would focus on the basics first, and worry about other crap like your phone later. I'm sure the EVO should suit you nicely. It should do everything you need, and that is what you want.

Don't be picky about things reviewers say, or look for the biggest hits, because in a year, you will feel bad about purchasing the greatest new thing this year because next year, it won't be the greatest thing.

Test the phone, if it can run your Netflix without choppiness, you got yourself a winner. Battery life? Hopefully you aren't planning to game on it for 6 hours straight, and you should be fine.