Super-low quality?

ST

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
79
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Something I've noticed in on my 5040 - everyone once in a while, I'll
get a show recorded at what looks like super-low quality. Very bad
compression artifacts. Which is weird, since I'm recording at medium,
which is usually so good I can't tell the difference between that and
live. I can tell the difference between standard and live.

So, I switch over the the TV to make sure it's not a bad cable signal.
The TV gets it's signal via the replay, so it only gets what the replay
gets. (Yeah, I know about RF, but I hate turning on the stereo and
playing remote-control-mambo just to watch TV.) Incoming is fine.

Is this possibly a heat problem? The replay is in a closed cabinet,
which I really like because it quiets the damn thing down. Or maybe my
HD is dying?

Reboot fixes it... but, it came back.

That reminds me: how do you turn it off without pulling the plug out?
Holding down the power button only reboots it. My plug is hidden behind
a large entertainment center and it's a pain to get to.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:29:26 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Something I've noticed in on my 5040 - everyone once in a while, I'll
>get a show recorded at what looks like super-low quality. Very bad
>compression artifacts. Which is weird, since I'm recording at medium,
>which is usually so good I can't tell the difference between that and
>live. I can tell the difference between standard and live.
>

Sometimes the Replay has trouble with certain input signals. It can be
more sensitive than a TV.

>So, I switch over the the TV to make sure it's not a bad cable signal.
>The TV gets it's signal via the replay, so it only gets what the replay
>gets. (Yeah, I know about RF, but I hate turning on the stereo and
>playing remote-control-mambo just to watch TV.) Incoming is fine.
>

Using RF connections or AV shouldn't have anything to do with the
stereo, as long as the audio is connected to the TV too.

>Is this possibly a heat problem? The replay is in a closed cabinet,
>which I really like because it quiets the damn thing down. Or maybe my
>HD is dying?
>

The 5xxx Replays have a fan for cooling. It that working properly?

>Reboot fixes it... but, it came back.
>
>That reminds me: how do you turn it off without pulling the plug out?

The button shouldn't be causing a reboot unless you hold it down for
several seconds. Anyway, this is NOT off (it just disables the OUTPUTS
and stops live TV buffering). Why would you want it off anyway?

If you really want it off, you could install a remote control on the
power line (like the common X10 modules).

>Holding down the power button only reboots it. My plug is hidden behind
>a large entertainment center and it's a pain to get to.

Is that necessary. I arranged my A/V cabinet so both front and back
are easily accessible.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 

ST

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
79
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Using RF connections or AV shouldn't have anything to do with the
> stereo, as long as the audio is connected to the TV too.

The stereo acts as a video switcher, since my TV only has one video
input, and no audio input:

DVD: A/V -------+
v
RTV: A/V --> Stereo: V --> TV video input only

RTV: Cable out ----------> TV cable input

Thus my choices are, watching RTV over the cable (channel 3) and use the
TV's speakers; or watch RTV over the single video input and use the
stereo's speakers. (Clearly, I want a better TV.)

> The 5xxx Replays have a fan for cooling. It that working properly?

Yes, I can hear it running, and it's clean of dust.

> Why would you want it off anyway?

To let it cool down a bit, to see if it's a heat problem-- without
disassembling the entertainment center.

> Is that necessary. I arranged my A/V cabinet so both front and back
> are easily accessible.

Maybe if I bought new furniture, the shelf's back isn't open and it's
against the wall.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I put a power strip behind my components so I can unplug them easily
when needed.

From:ST
tringali@yahoo.com

> Something I've noticed in on my 5040 - everyone once in a while, I'll
> get a show recorded at what looks like super-low quality. Very bad
> compression artifacts. Which is weird, since I'm recording at medium,
> which is usually so good I can't tell the difference between that and
> live. I can tell the difference between standard and live.
>
> So, I switch over the the TV to make sure it's not a bad cable signal.
> The TV gets it's signal via the replay, so it only gets what the
> replay gets. (Yeah, I know about RF, but I hate turning on the
> stereo and playing remote-control-mambo just to watch TV.) Incoming
> is fine.
> Is this possibly a heat problem? The replay is in a closed cabinet,
> which I really like because it quiets the damn thing down. Or maybe
> my HD is dying?
>
> Reboot fixes it... but, it came back.
>
> That reminds me: how do you turn it off without pulling the plug out?
> Holding down the power button only reboots it. My plug is hidden
> behind a large entertainment center and it's a pain to get to.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:23:02 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Using RF connections or AV shouldn't have anything to do with the
>> stereo, as long as the audio is connected to the TV too.
>
>The stereo acts as a video switcher, since my TV only has one video
>input, and no audio input:
>
> DVD: A/V -------+
> v
> RTV: A/V --> Stereo: V --> TV video input only
>
> RTV: Cable out ----------> TV cable input
>
>Thus my choices are, watching RTV over the cable (channel 3) and use the
>TV's speakers; or watch RTV over the single video input and use the
>stereo's speakers. (Clearly, I want a better TV.)
>

I solve that problem with an external remote-controlled A/V switch.

>> The 5xxx Replays have a fan for cooling. It that working properly?
>
>Yes, I can hear it running, and it's clean of dust.
>

As long as the air can flow, there should be no overheating problem.

>> Why would you want it off anyway?
>
>To let it cool down a bit, to see if it's a heat problem-- without
>disassembling the entertainment center.
>

It isn't off unless you physically disconnect the power. I'd expect no
difference in power dissipation with the soft "power" switch. If
necessary, I'd use a remote hard (physical) power switch such as one
on a cord or an X10 module. Both should be available at Radio Shack
(the X10 modules there are called "plug 'n' power").

>> Is that necessary. I arranged my A/V cabinet so both front and back
>> are easily accessible.
>
>Maybe if I bought new furniture, the shelf's back isn't open and it's
>against the wall.

And it your room is big enough that you could afford the extra space
(needed for read access) the A/V cabinet back could be removed if it
isn't necessary to support the cabinet.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:23:25 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>I put a power strip behind my components so I can unplug them easily
>when needed.
>

You'd probably need that anyway, unless you had a VERY simple video
setup. Unplugging is probably not the best way if you do it often.

>From:ST
>tringali@yahoo.com
>
>> Something I've noticed in on my 5040 - everyone once in a while, I'll
>> get a show recorded at what looks like super-low quality. Very bad
>> compression artifacts. Which is weird, since I'm recording at medium,
>> which is usually so good I can't tell the difference between that and
>> live. I can tell the difference between standard and live.
>>
>> So, I switch over the the TV to make sure it's not a bad cable signal.
>> The TV gets it's signal via the replay, so it only gets what the
>> replay gets. (Yeah, I know about RF, but I hate turning on the
>> stereo and playing remote-control-mambo just to watch TV.) Incoming
>> is fine.
>> Is this possibly a heat problem? The replay is in a closed cabinet,
>> which I really like because it quiets the damn thing down. Or maybe
>> my HD is dying?
>>
>> Reboot fixes it... but, it came back.
>>
>> That reminds me: how do you turn it off without pulling the plug out?
>> Holding down the power button only reboots it. My plug is hidden
>> behind a large entertainment center and it's a pain to get to.
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Uh, the REPLAY has 2 sets of outputs (Well 3 if you count RF)

Line 1 out to stereo

Line 2 out to tv

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:23:02 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Using RF connections or AV shouldn't have anything to do with the
>>>stereo, as long as the audio is connected to the TV too.
>>
>>The stereo acts as a video switcher, since my TV only has one video
>>input, and no audio input:
>>
>> DVD: A/V -------+
>> v
>> RTV: A/V --> Stereo: V --> TV video input only
>>
>> RTV: Cable out ----------> TV cable input
>>
>>Thus my choices are, watching RTV over the cable (channel 3) and use the
>>TV's speakers; or watch RTV over the single video input and use the
>>stereo's speakers. (Clearly, I want a better TV.)
>>
>
>
> I solve that problem with an external remote-controlled A/V switch.
>
>
>>>The 5xxx Replays have a fan for cooling. It that working properly?
>>
>>Yes, I can hear it running, and it's clean of dust.
>>
>
>
> As long as the air can flow, there should be no overheating problem.
>
>
>>>Why would you want it off anyway?
>>
>>To let it cool down a bit, to see if it's a heat problem-- without
>>disassembling the entertainment center.
>>
>
>
> It isn't off unless you physically disconnect the power. I'd expect no
> difference in power dissipation with the soft "power" switch. If
> necessary, I'd use a remote hard (physical) power switch such as one
> on a cord or an X10 module. Both should be available at Radio Shack
> (the X10 modules there are called "plug 'n' power").
>
>
>>>Is that necessary. I arranged my A/V cabinet so both front and back
>>>are easily accessible.
>>
>>Maybe if I bought new furniture, the shelf's back isn't open and it's
>>against the wall.
>
>
> And it your room is big enough that you could afford the extra space
> (needed for read access) the A/V cabinet back could be removed if it
> isn't necessary to support the cabinet.
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:57:50 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Uh, the REPLAY has 2 sets of outputs (Well 3 if you count RF)
>

The 5xxx Replays have 4 if you count YUV (component video) and digital
audio.

>Line 1 out to stereo
>
>Line 2 out to tv
>
>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:23:02 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Using RF connections or AV shouldn't have anything to do with the
>>>>stereo, as long as the audio is connected to the TV too.
>>>
>>>The stereo acts as a video switcher, since my TV only has one video
>>>input, and no audio input:
>>>
>>> DVD: A/V -------+
>>> v
>>> RTV: A/V --> Stereo: V --> TV video input only
>>>
>>> RTV: Cable out ----------> TV cable input
>>>
>>>Thus my choices are, watching RTV over the cable (channel 3) and use the
>>>TV's speakers; or watch RTV over the single video input and use the
>>>stereo's speakers. (Clearly, I want a better TV.)
>>>
>>
>>
>> I solve that problem with an external remote-controlled A/V switch.
>>
>>
>>>>The 5xxx Replays have a fan for cooling. It that working properly?
>>>
>>>Yes, I can hear it running, and it's clean of dust.
>>>
>>
>>
>> As long as the air can flow, there should be no overheating problem.
>>
>>
>>>>Why would you want it off anyway?
>>>
>>>To let it cool down a bit, to see if it's a heat problem-- without
>>>disassembling the entertainment center.
>>>
>>
>>
>> It isn't off unless you physically disconnect the power. I'd expect no
>> difference in power dissipation with the soft "power" switch. If
>> necessary, I'd use a remote hard (physical) power switch such as one
>> on a cord or an X10 module. Both should be available at Radio Shack
>> (the X10 modules there are called "plug 'n' power").
>>
>>
>>>>Is that necessary. I arranged my A/V cabinet so both front and back
>>>>are easily accessible.
>>>
>>>Maybe if I bought new furniture, the shelf's back isn't open and it's
>>>against the wall.
>>
>>
>> And it your room is big enough that you could afford the extra space
>> (needed for read access) the A/V cabinet back could be removed if it
>> isn't necessary to support the cabinet.
>>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

ST wrote:

> True, but my TV only has one video input, and zero audio inputs. So
> unless I want to buy an external switch and then watch with no audio, my
> choices are send it over the cable, or use the stereo. But I think it's
> irrelevant to my problem, as it appears to be an encoding problem, not
> playback.

NO audio input?????? Now that is interesting, I don't think I have ever
seen that Every Television/Monitor I've seen, if it had video in it had
audio in

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:56:26 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>
>ST wrote:
>
>> True, but my TV only has one video input, and zero audio inputs. So
>> unless I want to buy an external switch and then watch with no audio, my
>> choices are send it over the cable, or use the stereo. But I think it's
>> irrelevant to my problem, as it appears to be an encoding problem, not
>> playback.
>
>NO audio input?????? Now that is interesting, I don't think I have ever
>seen that Every Television/Monitor I've seen, if it had video in it had
>audio in

A TV with video input but no audio input sounds like something that
wouldn't sell well at all. Does it support audio at all (like with the
built-in tuner)? Any unrecognized jacks on that TV?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Now that I looked, you're right. There's cable, A/V in, and audio out.
No video out.

I probably hooked it up that way, because it seemed silly to hook up the
video input from the stereo (switcher in order to watch DVDs), but run
some other device directly in there. One would hope the three are a
matched set for sanity purposes.

I need a TV with multiple A/V inputs so I don't have to deal with this
anymore...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:47:50 GMT, SJT <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Now that I looked, you're right. There's cable, A/V in, and audio out.
> No video out.
>

Mine's like that too (no video out). I suppose that if you want to use
another device for video, you wouldn't need the TV. It's still
limiting.

>I probably hooked it up that way, because it seemed silly to hook up the
>video input from the stereo (switcher in order to watch DVDs), but run
>some other device directly in there. One would hope the three are a
>matched set for sanity purposes.
>
>I need a TV with multiple A/V inputs so I don't have to deal with this
>anymore...

I use a remote-controlled 4-input A/V switch.

My setup has something like this (as always, diagrams need a
fixed-width font):

|-------| |-----|
-------------video--|A/V |--video------|TV |
from Replay |switch | | |
-------------audio--| | |-----|
| |
| |
-------------video--| |
from DVD player | |
-------------audio--| |--audio------ to stereo
|-------|

The use of a remote control that supports macros simplifies things.
For example, I have one setup so one button changes the A/V switch to
DVD and changes the remote to control the DVD player. Another macro
changes back to the Replay.

The switch could be used without the stereo, to give the effect of
having multiple inputs to the TV.

Actually, I don't have a TV there, but a splitter to send signal to a
TV and to a whole house distribution system.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

SJT wrote:
> Now that I looked, you're right. There's cable, A/V in, and audio out.
> No video out.
>
> I probably hooked it up that way, because it seemed silly to hook up the
> video input from the stereo (switcher in order to watch DVDs), but run
> some other device directly in there. One would hope the three are a
> matched set for sanity purposes.
>
> I need a TV with multiple A/V inputs so I don't have to deal with this
> anymore...

Among other stores Radio Shack sells a multiple AV input switch, Some of
them are kind of interesting as they can route say 3 differentputs to 2
different outputs in a mixture of ways including routing A&B to output C
or some such thing. (Most of them are just A,B,C,D---,whatever switches)

Different stores, different switches, Most of these switches have (per
input/output) 3 RCA or Phono (Same thing) jacks Right, Left and Video
(So labeled) and one S-Video connector (optional but many include them)

You get one of these switches and you can choose the line out from your
VCR, Your DVD or your REPLAY (one or two) or other devices as well,
perhaps a digital memory card reader, a digital camera... More

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:56:26 +0000, John in Detroit wrote:

>
>
> ST wrote:
>
>> True, but my TV only has one video input, and zero audio inputs. So
>> unless I want to buy an external switch and then watch with no audio, my
>> choices are send it over the cable, or use the stereo. But I think it's
>> irrelevant to my problem, as it appears to be an encoding problem, not
>> playback.
>
> NO audio input?????? Now that is interesting, I don't think I have ever
> seen that Every Television/Monitor I've seen, if it had video in it had
> audio in



I have not seen a TV without audio input in 20 years...

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:12:57 GMT, Korbin Dallas
<korbindallas@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:56:26 +0000, John in Detroit wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> ST wrote:
>>
>>> True, but my TV only has one video input, and zero audio inputs. So
>>> unless I want to buy an external switch and then watch with no audio, my
>>> choices are send it over the cable, or use the stereo. But I think it's
>>> irrelevant to my problem, as it appears to be an encoding problem, not
>>> playback.
>>
>> NO audio input?????? Now that is interesting, I don't think I have ever
>> seen that Every Television/Monitor I've seen, if it had video in it had
>> audio in
>
>
>
>I have not seen a TV without audio input in 20 years...

I have seen a video monitor without audio. Actually, I have a 6-inch
LCD panel in my bathroom, that has no audio. But then, that's not
really a TV.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> I have seen a video monitor without audio. Actually, I have a 6-inch
> LCD panel in my bathroom, that has no audio. But then, that's not
> really a TV.

Right, I've seen closed circuit video monitors and computer monitors w/o
audio of any kind, but these were NOT televisions, they also had no RF
input, they had VIDEO, and only VIDEO, in fact I used to have one years
ago. (I added audio to it) but that was a long, long time ago.

I will have one in my motor home when I get it,,,,, it's the rear view
mirror


--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
L Streaming Video & TVs 4
I Streaming Video & TVs 0
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 3
Jonas P Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
Mike Andronico Streaming Video & TVs 4
Mike Andronico Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 15
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 15
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY