Super-Secure Blackphone Shipping by July

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I want to see a comparison between this and the Blackberry 10 phones in security. It has android so I and interested if they were able to pull it off.

jgrabb

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
Super secure my you know what. Come on a 630 dollar phone needing fee subscriptions to maintain security? Buy a 200 dollar BlackBerry with no fees to maintain your security

sc14s

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
I want to see a comparison between this and the Blackberry 10 phones in security. It has android so I and interested if they were able to pull it off.
I feel like this system will win out over the blackberry system for security because it was built entirely for that purpose.

THE NSA NEEDS TO BE RAZED TO THE GROUND
Can't say i'm far off from that thought, it certainly needs to be reigned in big time. IDK about something that extreme however.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
i'm tired of sites and media blindingly insinuating encryption cannot be broken. Come on guys, this is the US Government. Encryption is Math, and if you put enough computers to the task, you can break encryption. The NSA has server farms like Microsoft has Azure.

Encryption is not the end all be all eighth wonder of the world.

paradigital

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
So let me get this straight. all communication is encrypted and sent via Silent Circle's server farm? a) That's the blackberry method, and it wasn't the b-all and end-all of security, and b) surely "the powers that be" will just go to source rather than handset? Pointless phone is pointless. Oh, also, "secure" and "android", bwahahahaha.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
There is an old saying "The harder the shield, the sharper the sword".

I doubt this will be any different. Personally, If the NSA wants so badly to know what I do at home, I am kinda sorry for them.
Having so much power and using it for such pointless reasons is flat out embarrassing for humanity.
On the flipside, Im quite sure anyone can figure a simple encryption to bypass NSA security. Not to mention you could just... you know... not use electronics...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
@jasonelmore, Assuming the NSA doesn't have a strong enough quantum computer running shor.qcl, I feel reasonably safe with the math at hand. I am more worried about getting punked by carriers and such with keystroke loggers (carrierIQ) or other such undiscovered implementation hacks.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
There is an old saying "The harder the shield, the sharper the sword".

I doubt this will be any different. Personally, If the NSA wants so badly to know what I do at home, I am kinda sorry for them.
Having so much power and using it for such pointless reasons is flat out embarrassing for humanity.
On the flipside, Im quite sure anyone can figure a simple encryption to bypass NSA security. Not to mention you could just... you know... not use electronics...

Exactly. If people realized how much resources are taken from us to fund this nonsense, well, let's just say I hope it would change some minds.

mySecure_Phone

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
You don't need to buy Blackphone to have safe mobile communication (texts, emails, calls). Better look at encryption software like mySecurePhone. It's a good for cell with Android and completely prevents from eavesdropping. So it's a perfect alternative for a bit too expensive Blackphone.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I think it's interesting to think that we have these different sorts of encryption, and that because the public hacking/enthusiast community says it's secure, and can't be defeated, means that there is no way to break encryption. I know it sounds super conspiracy theory, but it would not shock me at all that there is easy access to a supercomputer or network of supercomputers that the powers-that-be can use to crack encryption in a second or two. And all this stuff is just to make the public feel a little more warm and fuzzy.

So that all being said, I don't understand how this could be secure if it's going to a non-secured phone on the other end. Even if it's sent secured from this handset to a server, it gets decrypted at that server and sent unencrypted to the other non-blackphone. Pretty pointless in that case.

Curious if the components used within the phone are the same off-the-line parts that every other phone manufacturer uses. With all the rumors that the hardware itself is engineered to allow for snooping, all the software-end encryption doesn't matter if the people looking for stuff have access to it at the hardware level.

Status
Not open for further replies.