Supermicro h8dce won't post with new GPU.

wytsevstrien

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
My supermicro H8DCE worked fine but I bought a new video card Msi Radeon R9 270 (2gb) and it doesn't post.

There's an error code: 2 short beeps and 8 long beeps.

The manual said that it is a problem with the GPU but I don't know what's the problem.

Solution
The beep code from what I can find means it is not detecting a video adapter, which does not suprise me.

That is a very old dual socket server board, I highly doubt it's BIOS would support something like a R9 270. You can try to update the BIOS but I doubt even the newest version would support a 270.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
The beep code from what I can find means it is not detecting a video adapter, which does not suprise me.

That is a very old dual socket server board, I highly doubt it's BIOS would support something like a R9 270. You can try to update the BIOS but I doubt even the newest version would support a 270.

Solution

wytsevstrien

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

Where can I find the bios update?

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

You can find it in the link below, look for 'update your bios' on the right side of the page. Both files on that page are the same except the .zip version will need to be extracted before you can use it. Consult your manual for the proper way to update the BIOS on that board. Follow the directions closely, if you mess up the update you could brick the board.

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DCE.cfm

wytsevstrien

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

Thank you!