Surround Sound 7.1 Help

SirDonutsIII

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
I was thinking of getting a headset with 7.1 surround sound. I am using a laptop with realtek and my audio codec is ALC3229. Am I able to buy an external sound card that would allow me access to 7.1 surround sound? If so, which one is recommended that is <$100?

Solution

First of all let me tell you that there are only a few headsets out there that produce 7.1 surround sound and they are VERY expensive.
Nearly all others are simulations of 7.1 sound.

And you dont need an external audiocard, its not nessesary.

But if you really want one here's one for under 100: http://www.amazon.com/Sweex-7-1-External-Sound-Card/dp/B00265L1S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1445201081&sr=1-1&keywords=sweex+7.1+External

InfurnoHD

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015

First of all let me tell you that there are only a few headsets out there that produce 7.1 surround sound and they are VERY expensive.
Nearly all others are simulations of 7.1 sound.

And you dont need an external audiocard, its not nessesary.

But if you really want one here's one for under 100: http://www.amazon.com/Sweex-7-1-External-Sound-Card/dp/B00265L1S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1445201081&sr=1-1&keywords=sweex+7.1+External

Solution
most 7.1 headsets come with a soundcard of their own or are usb with it built in to the headset. the vast majority of surround sound headsests are virtual surround so do not need any fancy soundcard to work.

the only reason you would need a 5.1 or 7.1 analog output soundcard is if you plan on purchasing an analog 5.1/7.1 headset and do not want to use any included soundcard solution.

otherwise, the only reason for buying a soundcard would be for providing virtual surround to a 2.0 set of headphones or a 2.0 headset. razer virtual surround software is free and will give you the option without spending any cash. if you wanted a hardware solution, the xonar u3 is small yet offers dolby headphone if virtual surround is what you want.