Survey: 9 Percent Ditched PSN to Switch to XBL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mastadisasta_31

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's Free... I'm not paying Microsoft to watch Netflix on my xbox when it's free on my PS3.
I will stick with PSN!!
Just buy a pre paid Visa Card from Walmart for you online goodies.

G

Why would I switch to XBL? I'm just fine with my PS3 now...I won't use my card again on PSN (only prepaid cards).

I have Steam and my gaming PC...Valve won't charge me any fees to play games online (except for monthly subscription fees charged by companies for certain games like MMO's).

I'd have to spend what? $150-200 to first buy a 360...whatever games I'd have to replace from PS3 to 360 or new games. Then about $35-40 for a year of XBL? Please tell me how that makes any sense...

G

Why would anyone switch to Live from PSN? The choice of a console should already have purely been for which exclusive games it has (cost of the systems is equal given that you play online). If you chose PS3, then you wanted to play it's exclusives, and if you chose 360, you wanted it's exclusives. You either had both already or had no interest in the other console, so I don't see why anyone would switch to a console that they already decided they didn't want... Thats not even considering the cost of switching.

G

I hope the 9%, representing the dumbest of the PSN users, are enjoying the current XBL outage. What a bunch of morons. On top of that, now their paying for the outages! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Morons!!

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I sold off my XBOX360 last year (after going thru 4 of them due to hardware failures), and kept just the PS3. I plan on keeping it, but don't know if I'll buy any online content thru them anymore. For the most part right now, I switched to the PC (namely EVE Online). I don't completely distrust Sony, just that they are no longer the high quality products company they once were. I'm also getting annoyed with consoles in general, it's feeling more and more outdated, like being forced to watch movies on VHS, when there is other mediums that are in High-Def. Overall, I'd say I feel more in limbo as far as gaming is concerned.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
free is free i am not going to waste 300 bucks plus 50 bucks a year on a system with a high failure rate. i trust the PS3 because i think it has better exclusives then the crashbox. why would i waste money on somthing that i find has no games?. i check my banking account everyday checking my cc balance and will eventually change the number anyway. you people think this couldn't have happened to anyone else and you definitely show your ignorance in your comments. you mad? need a hug? last time i checked there was no definate news on if they got the CC info and with 77 million accounts the odds are pretty slim some of the accounts will get used. so there i thiunk your a loser and you think i am a loser. and so on and so on.

peace

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soetsout[/nom]i would never leave my details with a company like sony, they tend to piss off the hacker community and thats just plain stupid, and will most likely cost me my personal information in the future then.sorry but il rather pay for xbox and know they gona leave the hackers alone, then play a free service but know my details are most likely gona get stolen cuz some idiot ceo decided to target hackers.... as if governments tried and failed. what makes sony think they will get more then the government?[/citation]

sense you like wasting money can you give me some :)

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
9% is nothing compared to the amount of people that ditched the Xbox 360 due to constant hardware failures. Sony has software problems, MS has hardware problems. Take your pick. I'm gonna wait and see how the Wii 2 is panning out. Can't wait for E3.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ssddx[/nom]think outside the box for a minute people. sony did not purposefully leak customer info, they were hacked. [/citation]
I agree with this, BUT have to add that it has been stated that the level of security they were using was quite outdated (they even admitted this) - making it much easier to hack. That being said, this translated into much cheaper operating costs, until the rebuild was mandatory from the hack. They were playing the same game as a minimalist insurance policy holder does - do the bare minimum and hope it doesn't backfire. The difference here is there was a LOT at stake and they were careless.

On topic, I do know several people that either sold their PS3 and/or bought a 360. So although the number doesn't surprise me, I personally could have just waited the blackout period (If I had a PS3).

[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]I agree with this, BUT have to add that it has been stated that the level of security they were using was quite outdated [/citation]

true. but also consider that it is a free service and doesn't generate the revenue that XBL does. sony does need to step up their game when it comes to security, but i could understand if they don't spend as much as XBL to do it.
- - -
i'm just waiting for XBL or Steam to get hit bad. once that happens all the people who are calling sony out on this and calling customers fanbois will eat their words. as easily as sony got hit, so too could any other company. most of you would do well to remember that.

those of you that use prepaid cards to pay on such services, great idea!

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
What's really crazy is that Sony apparently NEVER deactivates an account. I signed up ages ago.. We're talking with the original playstation here... Yet they still notified me to my still valid email address that my info was affected.

There should be standards. When I haven't used your service in 10 years, it's not acceptable that last months break-in reveal my info. While, yes, financial information and physical addresses are far from current it does give the attackers the ability to contact me and phish information from me using information that would have been familiar to me.

Who's ever used a service for credit online that asks questions from data on your credit report? Like a previous address for instance. Presented to the gullible this might be very power information to use against them in coercing them to give up various information.

G

I think Sony needs to get away from the "Beta" mentality. They think that just because they are offering a service for free, they are not fully responsible for its up time as things may go wrong. Not saying that the PSN is a Beta program, but most of the time when a service is "free" there is less commitment to keep it up, patch it, or upgrade it. However Sony does make billions off of their free Network, so they should give PSN users the same experience that Xbox Live users have, "if at all possible". The truth is, PSN has never been completely stable, their network has always had issues and has never been up to par, which is why I think that they have been targeted by black hats around the globe. Step it up Sony!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The wording here is ambiguous. To me it sounds like 9% of PSN users already had an xbox with XBL and they just switched over to their xbox while the PSN was down, which is hardly surprising.

G

It amazes me how many people use the 50$ for the 1 year sub for xbox live as a defense for sony. 50$ is peanuts these days, equates to a tank of gas, or video game on sale. Seriously kids is 50$ over one year really breaking the bank for you? I don't buy it, lunch costs on average like 7$. Many kids have a WoW account at 15$ a month. I really don't find less than 5$ a month that unreasonable. I dropped cable and simply use Hulu Plus and Netflix for my TV entertainment needs. The only drag is sports which I rather watch at the bar anyways, so no harm there. The amount I save on cable easily offsets the cost for the 5$/month xbox live gold membership. The world would be up in arms if there was a security breach such as this done on microsoft. If you ask me Sony is getting off easy, like apple they have a bunch of sheeple who think they can do no wrong.

bruhthakuga

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
My credit card has a feature called "Safe Shop" where I it creates one use credit card number or a reusable credit card number that only one company can use, after the first time it's been charged to no other company can make charges to it. Each can have set limits of money and/or time that they can be used.

Good for those "Free Trial" periods, set a 5$ one shot limit and two month(minimal) time and don't worry about being charged because you forgot to cancel in time.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]synergycle[/nom]It amazes me how many people use the 50$ for the 1 year sub for xbox live as a defense for sony. 50$ is peanuts these days, equates to a tank of gas, or video game on sale. Seriously kids is 50$ over one year really breaking the bank for you? I don't buy it, lunch costs on average like 7$. Many kids have a WoW account at 15$ a month. I really don't find less than 5$ a month that unreasonable. I dropped cable and simply use Hulu Plus and Netflix for my TV entertainment needs. The only drag is sports which I rather watch at the bar anyways, so no harm there. The amount I save on cable easily offsets the cost for the 5$/month xbox live gold membership. The world would be up in arms if there was a security breach such as this done on microsoft. If you ask me Sony is getting off easy, like apple they have a bunch of sheeple who think they can do no wrong.[/citation]

it is because online ganing has always been free until MS came along with there own multiplayer and to this dsay people rather spend 50 bucks on something else other than hardware that has had a bad track record almost all its life

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
XBL doesn't require CC#'s... does PSN have a system where i can buy "points" at 7-11 with cash? the point is that i don't care if XBL gets hacked as my CC# isn't on their servers. this hack on PSN showed everyone how horrible their service is, it is free for a reason. if it's free why are there thousands of CC#'s stolen?

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]it is because online ganing has always been free until MS came along with there own multiplayer and to this dsay people rather spend 50 bucks on something else other than hardware that has had a bad track record almost all its life[/citation]

RROD... that was fixed... sony isn't perfect. $5 a month for a network that works all the time or free service that required CC#'s for content? PSN is horrible...

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]RROD... that was fixed... sony isn't perfect. $5 a month for a network that works all the time or free service that required CC#'s for content? PSN is horrible...[/citation]

RROD was fixed? proof? none? thought so. PSN never required a cc to sign up or purchase content it always had an option where you can buy points cards. even if they fixed it late still does not make up for years of the dreaded RROD or the red light of death thats on the slim models. when almost evryone else is offering online multiplayer for free even if it was a buck a day i'd still rather use a free service

FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.