Survey: 9 Percent Ditched PSN to Switch to XBL

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

even if it was a buck a day i'd still rather use a free service

5$/month < 1$/day

Math FAIL

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think the majority of that survey simply do not care because either they are a kid and cannot either grasp the importance of the issue or they simply do not care if their parents get effected by such. Just the majority however, the next group under are likely people of any age who simply do not care because they never put in any credit card info yet.

If this had effected me personally I would certainly be upset and unlikely to continue service. I would also remain on guard for quite sometime. If it ever came to be that I was effected in a negative manner due to this breach and failure to secure my personal information I would likely seek to recover any damages from Sony themselves through the courts. Not anything outrageous but a simple 1-1 return.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]RROD was fixed? proof? none? thought so. PSN never required a cc to sign up or purchase content it always had an option where you can buy points cards. even if they fixed it late still does not make up for years of the dreaded RROD or the red light of death thats on the slim models. when almost evryone else is offering online multiplayer for free even if it was a buck a day i'd still rather use a free serviceFAIL[/citation]
The PS3 doesn't require a CC in or to sign up or purchase something as opposed to ......what?
The Xbox nor the Wii require any CC info to sign up or buy anything either.

Free multiplayer is nice - I feel like some things are an entitlement, but sometimes you need to pony up to get something you feel the manufacturer is putting effort in to serve you better. Paying for it sucks, but it verifiably works better than the PS3 free service (not sure if the paid version is any better than the standard).

RROD is indeed long gone (the 25% failure rate specifically). If it were still a major problem, MS would have been dumped hard long ago for quality issues and a huge uproar would have been filed with the BBB or class-action lawsuits would pop-up all over the place still to this day. For what it's worth, my 360 is still a launch console without a problem, but I'm not basing this statement off of my own experience.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]RROD was fixed? proof? none? thought so. PSN never required a cc to sign up or purchase content it always had an option where you can buy points cards. even if they fixed it late still does not make up for years of the dreaded RROD or the red light of death thats on the slim models. when almost evryone else is offering online multiplayer for free even if it was a buck a day i'd still rather use a free serviceFAIL[/citation]
What is the RROD instance with the new Xbox 360 slim, compared to the first generation version, if you look really hard using Google you can find accurate figures that show the number have dropped off to almost nothing leaving only those that directly abuse the system.

That is what you would call "fixed"

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]What is the RROD instance with the new Xbox 360 slim, compared to the first generation version, if you look really hard using Google you can find accurate figures that show the number have dropped off to almost nothing leaving only those that directly abuse the system.That is what you would call "fixed"[/citation]

As a random thing, I just Googled "RROD Xbox 360 Slim" to see what would pop up. Guess what? They fixed it, so there is no more RROD, but instead it's a RDOD. See apparently the newer Slim no long has a Red Ring of Death, but in it's place it now has a Red Dot of Death. So to tackle their still existing problem, then changed it from a red ring to a red dot.

"So instead of fixing the problem they simply changed the error message to something that's not a meme?

Good job guys. Way to earn that pay check."

as someone pointed out.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Wow lots of comments...but you really think it is on the mark to survey 2300 people and over 70 million accounts exists? I would say 9 percent is EXTREMELY low, considering a lot of people that game online have both consoles. The whole free/live costs arguement is a moot point when you consider that people pay for DLC. And yea, I can't feel sorry for $ony....Other os was taken away when they wanted to prove they couldn't be secure. Remove PSN all together that puppy will be bulletproof lol.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]I would have switched if PSN was something I had to pay for. But, since it's for free, I don't see a reason why. it's like sunlight- it's for free, but not always available. Of course, you can go to a tanning salon and have your fix there, but that costs money.I am not saying that it's acceptable that the PSN got hacked, I'm saying that people shouldn't be pissed if it wasn't for the info that got leaked.[/citation]
Simply brilliant :) thumbs up

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Sony will have to earn back my trust. When I first purchased my PS3 I trusted Sony. Then a while after, substantial charges started hitting my bank account from the PlayStation Network. These charges were not listed in my own PSN account history and I never received any fraudulent charges from anywhere other than the PlayStation Network. Absent any further evidence i could only conclude that someone managed to associate my billing profile with another PlayStation Network account. I have no idea how that was accomplished but what I do know is that Sony refused to lift so much as a finger to help me with the matter.

Thereafter I stripped absolutely everything out of my PSN account that I could. That experience left me with the impression that Sony knew their system was insecure and that they refused to admit there was a problem for fear of potential legal retribution. When I heard someone had hacked into Sony's system I couldn't help but laugh. I felt a sense of righteous retribution as well as bitter annoyance over the possibility that my personal information had been compromised AGAIN by Sony.

While I definitely don't condone the actions of the hackers who continue to plague Sony the world over, I still feel that twisted sense of vengeful satisfaction every time I hear how much money they have lost. I love my PS3 and I enjoy the games I have for it but I dislike Sony and it makes me happy when the company suffers. Given all the crap they have pulled over the years, the root kit fiasco, their persistent dependence on intrusive digital rights management, the overbearing lawsuit against Geohot, not to mention my own poor experience with their support staff, I kind of feel like Sony deserves every bit of the financial woe they are presently reaping.

I can't say the PlayStation Network spending a month offline really inconvenienced me. I didn't buy my PS3 to play online games. I bought it to play stuff like Metal Gear Solid 4 and other story driven experiences as well as to watch blu-ray movies.

These hacks they have experienced haven't really done anything to damage my trust with the company as it was already destroyed long before these incidents began. In fact some part of this incident has actually improved my trust in the company because it forced Sony to admit what I already suspected. Maybe now they will invest in some actually-good security.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]"9 Percent Ditched PSN to Switch to XBL"... It was Microsoft that did the attack and there plan worked out well.[/citation]
Who knows, it could be true.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i don't trust sony, never have since they bought columbia house. that said, never trust any one with your credit card info online, just like changing your p/w ditch your credit cards and change them every 6 months or year for a different one or go the pre paid credit card route if at all possible with online transactions and if you get into near field communications you pretty much deserve to be swindled. that is about as smart a move as giving a teenage girl a credit card and dropping her off at the mall or letting your kids play on face book games that are linked to your paypal (unless of course you like a screen full of fish so thick you can't see the background.)
i don't trust sony, i don't trust microsoft and i don't trust steam, any one who does must have facebook accounts. you deserve what you get from such actions and misguided or blind faith.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]As a random thing, I just Googled "RROD Xbox 360 Slim" to see what would pop up. Guess what? They fixed it, so there is no more RROD, but instead it's a RDOD. See apparently the newer Slim no long has a Red Ring of Death, but in it's place it now has a Red Dot of Death. So to tackle their still existing problem, then changed it from a red ring to a red dot."So instead of fixing the problem they simply changed the error message to something that's not a meme?Good job guys. Way to earn that pay check."as someone pointed out.[/citation]Failure rates on Xbox Slim models are extremely low. The system runs quieter, cooler, and is much more reliable. With that said, even some of the big old models are pretty reliable, depending on which revision.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
If I had owned one, I won't ditch it.

I mean come on, its a free service. You're not paying a cent for it, and you get the same experience as one that requires you to pay $60 a month.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]As a random thing, I just Googled "RROD Xbox 360 Slim" to see what would pop up. Guess what? They fixed it, so there is no more RROD, but instead it's a RDOD. See apparently the newer Slim no long has a Red Ring of Death, but in it's place it now has a Red Dot of Death. So to tackle their still existing problem, then changed it from a red ring to a red dot."So instead of fixing the problem they simply changed the error message to something that's not a meme?Good job guys. Way to earn that pay check."as someone pointed out.[/citation]

As I pointed out, the error message still exists, usually for those that hugely abuse their systems, but instead of acting like an adult you decided to be a 12 year old and pedantic, you decided to completely ignore the number of instances versus the number of new models produced.

First gen (Xenon) had huge failure rates, then as the generation increased the failure rates went down and todays iteration is almost flaw free to the point that any that do happen are acceptable or down to customer error.

Status
Not open for further replies.