Survey Predicts Upgrade Disaster For Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

do i get this right? the it.ones are worried if their software runs on vista and that it may be difficult to service xp an vista at the same time. so tehy think about mac or linux? they less worried that the software might not run on mac or linux, and that it is easier to control xp and mac/linux at the same time - that must be a joke - nobody can take this seriuos.
sorry - terrible survey!

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i never thought it would be easier to run a windows xp-native piece of software on mac osx than on windows vista! ever heard of compatibility mode? honestly i think most people are just too afraid to try vista. all these IT guys could easily get a free license and try out all the software on a test computer. Instead of doing this, they just flat out refuse to try it. I upgraded from xp to vista and i've had zero problems. it's perfectly stable, all of my hardware and software works, and it's not sluggish. In fact, i had actually gotten vista beta 2 to run just fine on my old dell dimension 4600 from 2003!

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i never thought it would be easier to run a windows xp-native piece of software on mac osx than on windows vista! ever heard of compatibility mode? honestly i think most people are just too afraid to try vista. all these IT guys could easily get a free license and try out all the software on a test computer. Instead of doing this, they just flat out refuse to try it. I upgraded from xp to vista and i've had zero problems. it's perfectly stable, all of my hardware and software works, and it's not sluggish. In fact, i had actually gotten vista beta 2 to run just fine on my old dell dimension 4600 from 2003!

nukemaster

Distinguished
Is there a difference. nearly 3-4 years after XP came out most businesses still used 2000 because they did not want XP.

Service pack 1 was a MASSIVE fix from what I read around the net. I installed Vista 64 with SP1 and with the exception to Nvidia's poor 64 bit 8800GTX drivers, Vista it self works as well if not better then XP.

There is honestly very few software apps that do not work on Vista and hardware drivers are getting better(more hardware support) every day.

Switching to linux or OSX makes no sense if they are worried about compatibility since most software and hardware was designed to run under a Windows environment.

G

A fair percentage of them would definitely have tried Vista. Fact is what benefits does Vista bring? Obviously most of these people see less benefits than negatives at least compared to just sticking with XP. If compatibility isn't an issue, so what? It isn't with XP either. So +1 all.

As for the compatibility with Linux/OS X. More likely that they realise that they will eventually need to upgrade and when they do they are considering a complete switch from Windows. So compatibility with old apps wouldn't be an issue. Sure might be more drastic and cost more in the short term, but you are no longer reliant on Microsoft. More talking Windows 7 vs. others here anyway and only time will tell.

retro77

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I forced myself to upgrade to Vista when I got myself a new work laptop. Guess what, our internal application that runs on .NET, runs just fine on Vista. Imagine that.

The only thing I don't like about Vista: It will not run the MS Exchange 2003 Administrator.

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
What is up with these articles lately? I go on hiatus from Tom's for a year and come back to find that it has turned into a Vista-hating, Apple-loving Fudzilla/Inq subsidiary or something. At least half of the articles that aren't specifically buying guides are stacked sky high with FUD, stop this nonsense please.

Thanks.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think the survey is mixing IT groups. IT departments that are Windows-dependent but cost-conscious may wait for Windows 7. I know companies that are still deploying Windows 2000 by default and it's not hard to find web servers that still use it.

IT departments that are financially hurting and whose users primarily use web apps (like call centers) can change platforms without much effort and retraining costs since the users don't see any difference.

Companies whose business centers around basic clerical work can switch from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org or web apps fairly easily. More advanced users can switch to Microsoft Office for Mac. Adobe Creative Suite runs on both Windows, Mac, and partially on Linux using Wine.

Engineering applications are either *nix or Windows as there isn't as much support for Mac yet. That may change if Apple's success continues.

My own experience with Vista is that some stuff works, some doesn't, and some works as long as certain operations are avoided. The greater the diversity of applications you use the more likely problems are going to be encountered. It's no different than with previous major OS transitions like Windows 2000 -> Windows XP. Compatibility modes help but some applications are badly written and function mostly by luck and an OS change is going to reveal their flaws.

The performance problems are a whole different issue. It seems to be much worse than the 2000/XP transition. I think most IT departments realize that users aren't going to have a positive experience by merely upgrading XP on their economy business-class systems. They are going to have to invest in new hardware but the budgets of most businesses in the current economy don't allow for it.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
do i get this right? the it.ones are worried if their software runs on vista and that it may be difficult to service xp an vista at the same time. so tehy think about mac or linux? they less worried that the software might not run on mac or linux, and that it is easier to control xp and mac/linux at the same time - that must be a joke - nobody can take this seriuos.
sorry - terrible survey!

+1. These slanted articles are becoming far too frequent. I've been an avid Tom's reader for years, but I'm becoming more disgusted with them every time I check the site.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom][object][/nom]Unknown[/citation]Nobody can take you "seriuos" until you learn to freakin spell, and maybe learn some grammer, FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.