Survey: Youth Cannot Live Without Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
this is supposed to be a surprise?

the internet is now more integral to our lives than telephones, so of course there are masses of people couldn't live without it.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
While I'll disagree that they (I guess we, seeing as I'm 22) can't live without it, I would claim that it's nearly impossible to function is society and school/work without it.

Similarly, it's possible to live without learning any form of written, spoken or visual (such as sign-language) communication. It's just impossible to function well in society without it.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Its not just youth.. Hell the whole world is hooked into it.. You removed the internet all major industrialized countries would have an economic crisis the world has never seen. Everything money oriented is done through wires now.. Real money almost never changes hands..

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
A lot has to do with how this survey was worded. I would much prefer to have the internet but I am not going to cease to exist or drop dead if it went away tomorrow. My way of life and the way of life for a lot of people would have to drastically change but I could certainly LIVE without it. I haven't seen the poll question but I'm willing to bet they worded it to get this kind of result, like most polls.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Its not just youth.. Hell the whole world is hooked into it.. You removed the internet all major industrialized countries would have an economic crisis the world has never seen. Everything money oriented is done through wires now.. Real money almost never changes hands..[/citation]
True, this is also why I have nightmares at night.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
who would have thought that giving someone the world at their fingertips and then taking it away would cause a problem. duh!

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Sorry but the internet is just too fantastic for any of us to voluntarily give up. It's far too useful for gathering information (as long as its factual or true), playing games, making money, watching videos, listening to music, getting work done, communicating with others, etc etc etc.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]A lot has to do with how this survey was worded. I would much prefer to have the internet but I am not going to cease to exist or drop dead if it went away tomorrow. My way of life and the way of life for a lot of people would have to drastically change but I could certainly LIVE without it. I haven't seen the poll question but I'm willing to bet they worded it to get this kind of result, like most polls.[/citation]
Welcome to the media: twisting words to get reactions out of people.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
People mistake the wording,
in the UK it's a common phrase to say 'I can't live without it', when you think something is important, its not literal.
It doesn't mean that the people honestly don't believe that they could survive without the internet, just that they (as does anyone with a broadband connection) see it as an integral and useful/enjoyable part of their lives.
It's kind of a nothing article.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Cutting off someone's main means of entertainment (youtube, hulu), communication (myspace, facebook), and information (fox, nbc) gathering will have an impact on their lives? Really?! Wow! I had no idea!

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Im sick of hearing this crap..Who honestly cares...Since when have Habitual addictions become new??? Anyone can get addicted to anything that becomes habitual.

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
So you know i won't live without the internet. No i didnt grow up with it. I just have alway been in to computers and the internet. I don't have a life outside this box other then work. Work is the only place normals think im cool because i can fix there messed up puter. lol Well I will not live without it and if they get a plug i'll make sure they can't turn me off. NO MORe will i be controlled. j/k "Hack the planet"

Status
Not open for further replies.