Question Suspicious site while searching on my phone

Vitako91

Prominent
May 19, 2021
Hello, I have a problem!

So I created a Facebook account for a friend of mine and we used her phone number, instead of email during the registration. After we were done, Facebook showed that I turned on SMS notifications and since I didn't know what it was (never used a phone number for Facebook), I searched on my phone how to turn it off.

I searched in Google what to do and found some sites and tapped them one by one (they were legit sites), however one of the links gave me a "Congratulations!!!" message (the site preview in Google showed useful information, that's why I tapped it, although it was not a link I was familiar with). I immediately exited the page (did not gave any information) and searched my phone with an Antivirus (Avast) and Google Play Protect, but they found nothing unusual.

I scanned the URL's (the browsing history showed 3 links opened) in Virustotal and one of them showed up as "phishing" in Google Safebrowsing (but only there, so 1 out of 88, every other engine showed it as clean), while the other two were clean (one showed up as "Suspicious" in the alphaMountain.ai engine, every other engine was clean).

Should I be worried? Should I do a factory reset and change every password? The phone shows nothing unusual..

I did the same search again and that site now doesn't show up in the search results.

My phone's a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite with Android 11.

Edit: checked one of the links again (the Congratulations link) in Virustotal and now 3 engines show it as either Phishing or Malware (Google Safebrowsing, Kaspersky and Sophos), the other two links were fine.

Last edited:

Vitako91

Prominent
May 19, 2021
I did no such thing, just clicked the site and once I saw the message I instantly closed Chrome. Also checked the latest apps installed and no new apps were installed. Just to be safe I cleared cookies and changed my Google password (not sure if I should change every password, that I used on my phone, like Facebook, Discord, ...). Never used my browser for logging in to sites, only Google (which it automatically does).