Sweden Recognizes File-sharing as Official Religion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hang on, let me check my calendar.Nope, not April 1st yet...Even the Scientologists must crack aa smile about this one :)[/citation]
maybe they made a new april fools day in january

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
This religion discriminates against those who don't use keyboards! What if I want to use my mouse to copy and paste?...what haters towards, mice,...micists.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"Information holds a value, in itself and in what it contains, and the value multiplies through copying."

Wait a second, I agree loosely with sharing, but what is said on this line is counter to how they act.

Copying something adds no value, since you don't pay for it. Unless of course the value they talk about is selling it on.

Bunch of jokers.

G

wow billybobser way to miss the point, its about real world value as in actually usefull for humanity not value as in money.

G

Good job I'm not religious. I have faith though. Only one God died for me, only Jesus set me free.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
If we ever needed proof that amongst the human population you ALWAYS find complete freaks, this is it. It's also the article that /facepalm was invented for.

Variation was the creation of the human race: for some to get stronger, some needed to get weaker, evolution takes care of the rest. The only problem with this same variation is it guarantees you that mankind will never be a stable race and will ultimately destroy itself.

Our creator will eventually destroy us. Sounds a bit like religion? The science of evolution.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
[citation][nom]skilltim[/nom]Good job I'm not religious. I have faith though. Only one God died for me, only Jesus set me free.[/citation]
You realize what you said makes no sense right? Nothing new I guess...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
OMG! All we need to do is put on the next census that this is your religeon and when the Cops swoop in to arrest you for file sharing you can have the charges recinded under freedom of religious expression laws.

Rastas can do it for smoking weed even though drug laws are so tight, Jewish people can do it for Kosher butchery even though it is animal cruelty.

I never thought I would say this, but praise the lord for file sharing!

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Brotherens, before we start sharing any files, we need to pray our lord and savior. Let us hold hand, unless you're download pr0n. Torrent Akhbar. Torrent Akhbar

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Has anybody considered this deeper? I think not. An Official Religion (in Sweden) has the right to collect fees from their believers and does not pay taxes. Even if the members pay small amounts to the religious center wealth builds up quickly and can be used for e.g. defending their religious beliefs in courts. It is also forbidden (by anybody, including the police or the judicial system) to interfere with the religious services, which means that copying - if you are a member of this church, cannot be prohibited. It is very hard to sue as religion because the counter suit would be "against freedom of belief", which is something very highly valued and respected in Sweden.
What has been performed here is a very intelligent way of putting one set of laws (those protecting religious freedom) against other laws. And since the freedom of religion is a part of the Swedish constitution it has more weight than e.g. property law and thus will lead to a lot of problems for those who try to act against that religion. I have not considered the effect on EU-level yet, since I think (but am not sure) that if one member of the EU has recognized a religion as being official that may apply to all of EU.
Now I think this was quite ingenious and not at all ridiculous.

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
continued ...
Now you may think that this would e.g. protect religions performing e.g. human sacrifice but it does not. There are limits on what may be seen as a sacrament. Police and courts may interfere with religious practices which have a minimum punishment of one year in prison. Sharing illegal drugs among several people has a minimum punishment of 18 months and thus cannot be performed as a religious service. Copying on the other hand does definitively not have that kind of punishment...
I find this action not only ingenious but also highly humorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.