Switching CPU's

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have a Toshiba a70 with a 478 Prescott which I hate. The prescott always overheats, and eats my battery-life. I am switching it out for a 478 Centrino/Pentium M CPU. Is there anything inparticular I should watch out for. I have been researching it, and from what I can tell it should be a compatible change.

Any helpful tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I don't think you can put a Centrino in there. If it was designed for a Pentium desktop replacement the power output to the chip is probably too high... maybe a flat out Pentium M which are pretty cheap on Ebay.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Either way, shouldn't I be able to lower the voltage using something like systool, and possibly increase battery life, while reducing heat?

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
thought i'd just point out centrino is an umbrella term for a laptop that has a pentium m, an intel wireless card and the correct chipset 955 i believe. there is no such thing as a centrine cpu. there all pentium m's.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
thought i'd just point out centrino is an umbrella term for a laptop that has a pentium m, an intel wireless card and the correct chipset 955 i believe. there is no such thing as a centrine cpu. there all pentium m's.

Kool, I actually did not know that. Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will work though, I bought a Pentium M off ebay for $40 and it should be coming in shortly. I will post my results after the install. and just fye, this laptop is running linux.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
i don't think there is one of those. are you sure your not confusing a p4 m and p4 mobile. one was a p4 designed for better power usage an the pother was a standard p4 adapted to fit in a laptop motherboard. they could be differentiated by the amount of l2 cache and FSB

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
My head is swimming trying to unravel Intel's fifty thousand differnt variants of everything.

Here's what I am looking at: Pentium 4-M

vs.

Pentium M

vs.

Centrino Pentium M 745

It seems to me lke the faster the talker, and the more words they just say, and the more the story changes... the harder it is to follow. The only way you would want someone to not follow what you were saying when you were selling something was because your product couldn't stand on its own merits.

That's my little rant about intel, but I still would like to know about the processors.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
ok a pentium 4-m, is as far as i know a pentium 4 using a lwoer fsb and lower l2 cache as well as using speedstep tech to save heat and battery life. there is no difference between the pentium m and the centrino pentium m. the website is just trying to use buzz words to sell processors.