Switching video cards in laptops?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B4bypUncHER

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
To the original poster....

I own a Sager 9880. And yes, theoretically it is possible that a video card can be upgraded. BE WARNED most notebooks videocards may NOT be upgraded. They all have the same size, footprint, etc. But mostly, it's MOTHERBOARD limited. Go to notebookforum.com you will see many upset people who have believed that they would have a machine that would have upgradeable graphics when in fact they do not. The only advantage to the modular video card is that you can take it out to send to the manufacturer, (almost guaranteed I've had to send mine in 3x) saving you money on shipping for an exact replacement. This is the only advantage I see. And anyone that tells you these video cards are upgradeable are not being honest or are misinformed.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, I actually am being honest, I have built off models from that ODM, and I did in fact call corporate tech support and asked them and they said exactly what I posted.

I think the just of it was, "Possible, but you're probably going to have problems switching between a ATi and a nVidia card."

verix

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
The only reason I asked is because the exact same Clevo chassis/chipset/mobo is sold with both the video card I have as well as the video card I want. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother. =)

B4bypUncHER

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
@ KillerNotebooks..

In no way was I referring to you being dishonest. If thats how you interpreted it I'm sorry :cry: . I just wanted to let him know that these companies "Hype" the fact that the vid cards are interchangeable. Which they are. However they are not able to upgrade the video cards in almost ALL situations. To buy a laptop based on the presumption that it is upgradeable is not practical because in reality they are not. To do a side jump or actually go to a lower card yes, there are exceptions, like you indicated.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
My mistake. I am an idiot at times. I got beat up at Anandtech forums after I got thrown off so I am all weirded out.

I was just having flashbacks and stuff so that was all me man... sorry.

You are right that all this stuff is portrayed as just his "bolt on" or "drop in" upgrade, which in most cases is not. This freaking Intel Yonah to Merom "drop in" upgrade better be real or I am going to go Chicago Union Style on the CEO of Intel and blow his house up.

orange%20cd%20cover.jpg