Switzerland Sues Google Over Street View

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
LOLS. Whats funny is everyone is defending Google but if the Govt was doing this the same people would be flippen out saying the GOVT has no right to spy on them.

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
But if the Government were doing this, they would have different intentions. Does google care if you're on benefits but actually are halfway up a ladder painting your house? Does google care if your car is parked illegally? Google is doing this as a streetview, to allow people to view the street, not a spy-on-you-to-see-what-you-are-doing-view. In the case of the bike riding fail, anyone that lives there knows that you fall of your bike a lot, and anyone that doesn't, doesn't know you so what do you care?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]m3kt3k[/nom]LOLS. Whats funny is everyone is defending Google but if the Govt was doing this the same people would be flippen out saying the GOVT has no right to spy on them.[/citation]

Govt already does this with spy sats...

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Its a common misconception that spy sats can see what you're doing. They are so high, that they cant see anything smaller than a few metres, ie they won't see you, probably won't even be able to see your car. On google earth, the pictures are taken from a plane. Anyway, thats besides the point. In the uk, the council have used anti-terror laws to spy on people to see if they pick up their dog's poo!

chuckdalton

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
me and my girlfriend are on street view, kissing, but I don't remember going to that park, and for some reason on that picture I'm skinny, tall and blond.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
People would be flipping out in the US, but the government has every right to monitor public regulated property. This includes front lawns.

Considering the UK wants to put Nanny Cams inside peoples homes to make sure you're giving proper care to your child, Google street view is pretty tame. Especially considering they take the time to blur peoples faces and license plates which they are under no legal obligation to do since you being on government regulated property is considered consent. This is why the News can walk up to you, take your picture and make it front page for no reason. You can sue for various reasons, but it's not illegal.

Google is bending over backwards to keep people happy when it comes to street view. They take entire communities out at the request of the community.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom]Its a common misconception that spy sats can see what you're doing. They are so high, that they cant see anything smaller than a few metres, ie they won't see you, probably won't even be able to see your car. On google earth, the pictures are taken from a plane. Anyway, thats besides the point. In the uk, the council have used anti-terror laws to spy on people to see if they pick up their dog's poo![/citation]

You are referring to radar class satellites which only can only recognize thing 3 feet or larger. These were quite the big deal in the 80's.

The keyhole-class sats have a resolution of 5-6 inches. These sats traveled at speeds estimated at Mach 24. This was the capability of satellites in 2001.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom] In the uk, the council have used anti-terror laws to spy on people to see if they pick up their dog's poo![/citation]

Now that is seriously a good use for that law... you know how frustrating it is when you go to mow or rake your lawn and you have a pile of shit the size of a subway sandwich by a dog the size of a lion!? Now that's real terrorism... "WHO IS THE PHANTOM CRAPPER!?"

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Does every Tom, Dick and Harry have acess to Govt. spy satellites?If they did Street Veiw would be quite redundant now would'nt it?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom]Its a common misconception that spy sats can see what you're doing. They are so high, that they cant see anything smaller than a few metres, ie they won't see you, probably won't even be able to see your car. On google earth, the pictures are taken from a plane. Anyway, thats besides the point. In the uk, the council have used anti-terror laws to spy on people to see if they pick up their dog's poo![/citation]

After looking through thousands of air and sat photos we have determined our target is nowhere on the rooftops.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
However on a more serious note I can see the whole blurring out faces/license plates but your backyards... honestly it's not going to make breaking into your house any less hard...

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]koss64[/nom]Does every Tom, Dick and Harry have acess to Govt. spy satellites?If they did Street Veiw would be quite redundant now would'nt it?[/citation]

What you don't have one? Did you not get the memo?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom]Its a common misconception that spy sats can see what you're doing. They are so high, that they cant see anything smaller than a few metres[/citation]
They could 20+ years ago, in Gorbatchov's times (I recall him saying that spysats can nor read number plates) and I doubt that they've suddenly became worse, than they were.

strange1889

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
To reiterate for anyone that has ANY doubt, YES the gov't has satellites that are capable of seeing what you are doing, right down to what kind of shoes you wear (given the right angle). but No the gov't isn't doing it b/c those satellites are employed doing more useful and important things b/c, contrary to your belief, you are not the center of the world nor do you matter that much

Status
Not open for further replies.