Switzerland to Ban Violent Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakew120

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
So instead of educating people about why the cruel acts in a video game are bad to do in real life, they would rather censor them?

What was that motto about the easiest path isn't always right?

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
LOL I at first thought the picture meant nudity was ok for ages 3 and up and gambling was ok for ages 18 and up

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]What have the swedes against killing nazis, mutants and the Combine? This is preposterous![/citation]
The Swedes appear to have no such issues with violent games. Not really an issue in Europe since you can simply drive across the boarder, or get it in the post.

THe government huffs and puffs, but nothing will really change

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
the_krasno: "Swedes" are in Sweden. These people would be the "Swiss."

jakew120: I guess they think it would be easier and cheaper to just ban these games from entering the country than it would be to fund and deploy an educational campaign regarding the acts within them. Such education should come from within the home, though.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
You cant legislate moral, like in australia its a mistake that serves a few against every1s liberty to choose if it is appopiate for him/her to be expose to cruelty or black humor alike, if you are 18 years old in my country you are mentally competent to choose whats best for you...a lot of moms with nothing else to do..

gralex

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I knew they were progressive! I've heard of no other country say: "Kids... get your consoles modded and if you haven't heard of utorrent...". Now were did I put that Bodycount LP?

Myrdek

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Not surprising

We're talking about a country that made it illegal to flush a goldfish down the toilet without killing them "humanely" first.

That and other crazy laws like this

http://planetsave.com/blog/2008/10/18/switzerland-places-ban-on-the-humiliation-of-plants/

as well as obligatory classes before you can get a dog.

kresso

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]LOL I at first thought the picture meant nudity was ok for ages 3 and up and gambling was ok for ages 18 and up[/citation]

Yeah I was really confused at first too.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Myrdek[/nom]Not surprisingWe're talking about a country that made it illegal to flush a goldfish down the toilet without killing them "humanely" first.That and other crazy laws like thishttp://planetsave.com/blog/2008/10 [...] of-plants/as well as obligatory classes before you can get a dog.[/citation]

obligatory classes for owning a dog makes a lot of sense. looking at all the things we do to human babies, we can at least rest assure the dogs are treated humanely.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
As we all know, shining examples of good government begin with censorship. What's next, Google will have to pull out of Switzerland?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Obviously Switzerland is free to enact any laws it pleases but I don't think violent video games are to blame for anything. How many murders were inspired by video games? Probably less than were inspired by religion, greed, bigotry, etc.

I guess it's up to the Swiss to decide what level of government interference they're willing to tolerate.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
"any game that "requires cruel acts of violence against humans and humanlike creatures for in-game success" will be banned, as per the original motion."

So Duke Nukem is still golden then?

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]shadowplayer51[/nom]Damnit, I was going to move to Switzerland because of the Health Care bill...[/citation]
Meh, you can still come to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS