Symantec Source Code Released Today, Says Hacker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dc_webster[/nom]Wow... I am surprised at the Symantec hate. I'd be the first to say that their products went to sh*t in the mid-2000s but I had, I thought, with some research, found their latest products to be right up there with the likes of Avira and Eset and others at the top of the list for resource usage and actual detection figures. Some of the recommendations for NIS in its latest versions only, came from Tom's Hardware. This was two years ago, and I would like to know what others think is now the best software? Avira appeared to be the best when I last "looked" into the issue, but it was so expensive for licenses. Is NIS really crap now? It didn't appear to be two years ago when I spent several hours looking at my options. RFCs please![/citation]

NIS 2011 and N360 2011 and onwards is really quite efficient. I have N360 running on a netbook and it doesn't slow it down. I think in 2009 they started to slim down the bloatware with consumer products.

jojesa

Distinguished
Since Norton cannot detect or remove some scare-ware they decide to join forces. If you can't beat them join them
According to AV comparatives testing, AVG and Microsoft free versions work as good as Symantec. Symantec lead the way in false-positives (false alarm).
I have, personally, downloaded several Fake AVs and Norton Internet Security 2012 and Norton 360 did not flag them.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm NOT surprised at all the norton/symantec hate. Not at all actually. They love to not update their products but sell you a new one each year. I bought, i think it was norton ghost 9.0, when windows xp came with SP3, it broke the functionalilty of Ghost 9.0, which at the time I bought it, it was new. So instead of supporting their customers and updating the product to continue to work with the new service back, they just come out with 10.0 so you have to buy it again.

dc_webster

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
^^That surprises me a bit... I've been able to update NIS to the next version for free three times during the last two years... which I believe is available to anyone as long as you have a sub. In the case of Ghost, it lost me to Acronis True Image...but yea it sucked that you didn't get a patch for Ghost 9.0. I guess I am wondering if they are still the same today...they lost me as a customer originally in the mid 2000s..but I came back in 2010 after some favourable "talk" for their Anti-virus products... can't say much about their other products tho.

interestingisit

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I've had so much trouble with norton... I avoid norton at all costs! Everyone that comes to be that have tons of pc problems have or had norton installed. Most of them with expired accounts.. which all of a sudden experience major issues and warning messages from norton to renew... where other people with NO anti virus programmes experience no problems... I have Kaspersky now... and had McAfee... no problems.. even if I took a year to renew my license. Symantec are criminals! I swear they corrupt your PC to make sure you renew. TAKE EM DOWN!... with apple while yur at it...I dont like apple... GO SAMSUNG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.