System Restore Error

Lester_6

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Can anyone help?
My laptop mysteriously turn off while I was watching a movie and I could not get it turn on. I google the issue and they said to remove the battery but my laptop battery are built-in so I plugged in my charger instead and it turned back on, however everything was super slow. I got so annoyed while using it, I tried system restore but then this error came up: ""System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive C:\. The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry System Restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070057)". I tried using AVG TuneUp for a deep scan but it got stuck on 10% for hours. I don't want to have to reinstall my OS.

PLEEEASE HELP :*(

Specs: Acer E 15 E5-575G-52RJ, Windows 10, Intel core i5

Your more looking at the Hard Drive is failing. Did you try a chkdsk /r (which is to REPAIR the Hard drive). If your data is important, backup backup backup to another storage device.

Right now I would follow the directions provided first. The 'super slow' was it trying to restore all the 'open files' that 'poofed' when "my laptops mysteriously turned off".

"laptop mysteriously turned off" 90% of the time is due to it overheating. You need to clear out the vents with canned air and keep it on a 'laptop cooler' that blows air into /out of the vents to keep it cool.

Lester_6

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

Thanks for replying. I did the chkdsk /r twice before but it got stuck on 10% for hours. I'll try again but after I clean the fan and if all of this works, does that mean my laptop will be back at its original speed

Then if you ran that and it got stuck, then most likely the drive is dying at the moment. I would get a backup external drive, make a backup of your data you need (pics, vids, etc.) and then contact where you bought the laptop from if it has been in the past 90Days since you bought it, or contact Acer if it has been in the past 12 months about the warranty on it, especially as system restore is failing.

This of course assumes a laptop that has proper up to date and valid antivirus system that is clean from infections and has had Malwarebytes run over it. As those nasties can get in the way of proper functions on a device depending how deep the infection is.

But yeah hardware failure on such a newish system is not good. Worse case you would need to request a copy of the Windows install DVD sent and buy a replacement drive if your out of warranty. And start all over again.

Lester_6

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

I bought the acer laptop from Amazon and the warranty is still intact, would it be best to send it to them or Acer. Also should I bother to clean the fan because some companies say once you open or tinker with the product , the warranty is void.

Repeating again

If you want your warranty intact, then obviously NO you wouldn't want to 'open' the laptop. But cleaning the fans on laptops does NOT require opening it up. Canned air has a attachment you stick on it nozzle and then you can push that into the vent on the laptop casing and run the air.

But what is the point? It isn't "dirty" that causing the Hard Drive to have errors, the HDD is a self contained device and SEALED, so this wouldn't resolve anything.

Now if you were dropping this laptop, there is obvious sign of 'abuse' or 'misuse' then your SOL on the Warranty anyway. You would still need to then self repair it, get a new copy of Windows installed, blah blah blah.